LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

ABS INOP Light!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Default ABS INOP Light!

My ABS INOP light came on in my car. I don't really care for abs anyways, so i didn't see the point to getting it fixed. Sometimes it comes on and sometimes it doesn't. But i ran into a problem the other day just before it came on, i went to brake and the peddal went to the floor and I LOST my brakes! So im getting it fixed. Wondering if anyone else ran into this problem.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: ABS INOP Light!

my abs inop light has been on since i bought the car in february... i was told that there is a pretty costly part , or shaft, or something under the car that goes bad sometimes with abs.. i hope that isnt it with you because this guy said theyre about 1500 give or take.. post back when you get the car back, im interested in knowing what it was..

Old 11-30-2006, 01:43 AM
Overdrive Member

I had that happen to me a few times. It goes on and off, and I'm not sure why, maybe it's a bad sensor connector or something...but as far as I'm concerned the camaro doens't get driven in the snow, and when it's on, the only thing it effects is me not having cruise control, so I'm not too worried about it.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:16 PM
2nd Gear member

bad or out of spec Wheel speed sensors guys, that will trip ABS inop MIL and kill cruise control.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:40 PM
2nd Gear member

Where are the wheel speed sensors located at? I have a 94 camaro.The ABS INOP light has been on since i bought it, I am not sure if this matters or not but before i got the car they had these ugly wire rims on it (it looked just....wierd) anyways maybe they d/c them accidently and never reconnected them? Are the sensors around each wheel? I always wondered why my cruise control didnt work.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:43 AM
2nd Gear member

How much would the sensors be to replace?

Old 12-01-2006, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

im not sure... i think our problems are different. my cruise still works.. not sure why yours wouldnt or why mine is...

Old 12-05-2006, 09:50 PM

I got the car back. they can't get the light to trip now. he thinking is a sensor that is going. He is getting a error code on the right front wheel barring. He said something about the sensor that is going might build into the system. I don't know. He can't fix it though. Im more worried about CRASHING into car in front of me, cause one of the times that the light went on, i lost my breaks...so yeah. I hated abs to begin with, now its giving me this ****...its pissing me off. So thats where im stuck at.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:17 PM

I had that problem right when I got my car.
It was hard for me to replicate.
Eventually, after a couple brake jobs, it just went away. I replaced all the pads and rotors. That seemed to fix it.
I guess that basically means that one of the sensors was out of alignment or something.
I wish I could be of more help.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well there are 3 ABS sensors in that Camaro. Two in the front wheel bearings and then one on the rear differential that hovers over the ring gear.

Quick Reply: ABS INOP Light!