LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Abs Inop

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Default Abs Inop

Hello all I wanted to post this information because I am sure it is not just me that has had this issue. I have a 1995 camaro z28 the abs inop light has been on for 7 years. The other day I came across a unit that was used for 30 dollars and figured I would just swap them out and play the crap shoot if it works. When I opened the unit on the bottom the motor pack there is 3 gears inside there that are each held on by a bolt. The code I pulled states piston will not home. I took my ABS unit off of my car and found the same thing the bolt backed off. I didn't touch the gears but, put the bolt back on the gears bled the system and the thing worked. My buddy had the same code we did the same to his and his started working. The unit I purchased for 30 dollars had the same thing the bolt backed off the gear inside. I wanted to share this info because I was upset that I let it go for 8 years and so was my friend. If you need pics or anything I can send them.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I would love some pics of what youre talking about. My light has been on as long as ive owned the Mamba. I was told by the previous owner that it came on when he put the SS spoiler on it... my other option to fixing it was to cover the light eith a little piece of electrical tape so i cant see it anymore

Old 07-22-2012, 04:05 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

just pull the bulb, abs caused me to wreck my thunderbird.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:56 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
just pull the bulb, abs caused me to wreck my thunderbird.
And to think, they stuck ABS in vehicles to help prevent such occurrences! But you sure it wasn't cause it was a Ford.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

lol maybe i was going around a bend, very dry, and the abs kicked in, i could feel it, and the back end kicked out and shot me into the ditch.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a similar experience in my Jeep a few years ago. I was on the interstate doing about 70. A car cut me off, causing me to break. The abs kicked in at like 65 mph, causing my wheel to start jerking violently. Luckily, im a damn good driver Lesson being: screw abs!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:51 AM
4th Gear Member

I though ABS was only supposed to kick in during panic braking? I mean, that's how it is on the Camaro and my other vehicles. But oh well. I like having ABS and power brakes...driving the Satellite with neither of those and drums all around just takes too much skill. Haha

Old 07-29-2012, 07:31 PM

Remove the unit you will need a 14 and 12 mm line wrench with a flex head. Loosen the 5 lines remove the electronics. Remove the one bolt in the front of the unit. take the lines off the rest of the way pull the unit to the front of the vehicle and pull out gently. Wrap with towels to keep brake fluid off paint. Turn the unit upside down remove the star bolts on the bottom. Careful when you remove the bottom plate the bolts will fallout. Also, the bottom plate is aluminum or some sort of pot metal easy to crack finesse is important. The motor pack will come out remember how it goes. DO NOT TOUCH THE GEARS THEY ARE SYNCHRONIZED IF YOU GET THEM OUT OF SYNC IT WILL NEED TO BE PUT BACK IN SYNC. I do not know that info. Make sure the gear is back on the post or stud. Tighten the bolt on top of the gear snug not gorilla tight. put a little lock tight on top of all three nuts. I only had one off my friends 94 had 2 off. Put the unit back together. DO NOT tighten the bolts on the bottom too tight the plate will crack gentle. Slide back in to place on the vehicle. Put the one bolt back in make sure the back tab is in place. Tighten down the bolt. Put the 5 lines back on replace the electronics on the unit BLEED ALL FOUR TIRES AS WELL AS THE ABS UNIT.

here is some pics if you need help feel free to Pictures by zeusz28 - Photobucket

\ I have talked to some other camaro guys they have had similar issues the dealer told one guy his motorpack was bad

Name:  0729121931.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  16.2 KB

Name:  0729121928.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  140.6 KB

Last edited by craby; 09-18-2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: add pictures
Old 07-29-2012, 07:47 PM

how do ya post pics ????

Old 07-29-2012, 08:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

use photobucket.