Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   LT1/LT4 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-lt4-tech-9/)
-   -   97 Z28 fuel system tech??? (https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-lt4-tech-9/97-z28-fuel-system-tech-40973/)

SGB 07-22-2009 12:41 PM

97 Z28 fuel system tech???

Hello out there in Camaroland!

I have a 97 LT1 that has quit on me. Long story short, it appears to be fuel system electrical related, and not the pump (thankfully). Does anyone have prior experience and/or advice on the best way to TS this problem?
What I know at this point is that the pump will prime when the key is ON, but does not run when you crank the engine.

Thansk in advance,

SGB

craby 07-22-2009 12:53 PM

more info. what leads u to say its the fuel system? gettin good spark? dry spark plugs? a good start would be to see if it has some trouble codes stored and do a fuel pressure test on it.

z28pete 07-22-2009 03:49 PM

If the engine does not fire within 5 seconds of cranking, the PCM will shut down the fuel pump to prevent flooding. Follow craby's advice before messing with the fuel injection. Like any other engine it needs a good spark at the plugs and at the proper time.

If ignition is OK then start playing wit the fuel system. Check fuel pressure, make sure the FI fuses are good, get some cheap NOID lites and see if the injectors are being fired.

SGB 07-23-2009 11:24 AM

the car will start, and run for a few seconds and then die presumably due to loss of fuel pressure because the pump is not running past initial prime. At the start of this mess, I had a local shop look at the car, and they believed that the problem was fuel related because they were able to get the car started by "cheating" fuel to it. Not sure exactly how they did this, but that's what I'm going on at the moment. I geuss my next step will be to get an OBD II scanner and dump the PCM codes and go from there. any idea where I can get a schematic of the fuel system?

SGB

rondavis 07-23-2009 08:13 PM

a chlitons manual will have the electrical schematic

SGB 07-27-2009 08:49 AM

Thanks rondavis, found the shematic. Now the plot thickens. The current status is that what I thought was a chronic no-start problem now appears to be intermittent. The car will in fact start about 50% of the time. The ODB 2 code is P0300 (misfire detected) which makes sense, but there are no other codes stored. Over the weekend, I was able to start cold, run up to operating temp, shut down, and re-start 5 times in sucession. Tried the same 24 hours later, and no joy. The car is sitting because I don't trust it to drive it, but it has over 1/2 tank of gas. At the monent, I am at a loss but I'm starting to think ECM/PCM. Has anyone else out there had this issue? I miss the old days when the average Joe could actually work out a problem like this without being an EE....

craby 07-27-2009 10:06 AM

ignition modual

ChrisKJXN 07-27-2009 10:15 AM

I've had a similar problem before, but it turned out to be a bad tank or two of gas. Has the car been doing this for a while or just within the past few tanks of gas?

rondavis 07-27-2009 12:33 PM

im with craby i think its the ign module its a cheap fix you local AZ should have them in stock

SGB 07-27-2009 12:43 PM

Thanks Guys! I will check out the ign mod.
Chris, the whole saga started a few weeks ago when the engine simply died while driving under normal driving conditions, and would not restart. Same tank of gas.
Since then it will start....sometimes.....can u say Gremlins?

Scott