LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

96 Z28 Lt1, ecm question

Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 AM
Default 96 Z28 Lt1, ecm question

My camaro has been down for about 2 years now. Everyone laughs because i wont give up on it. I have replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter, checked fuel pressure and all other fuel process. everything checks fine until the car misbehaves It has new distributor, plug and plug wires. Exhaust all checks out and have replaced oxygen sensors, tps and still no change. It will run fine for maybe an hour or even day and then loses fuel pressure, stalls and eventually dies and will not restart. I have taken it to 2 different mechanics and the chevy dealership but not much help. Since the car throwed 20+ codes their idea was to fix all 20+ codes and charge me $6000. My new recent idea was to check the ecm and sure enough, there was a fried part on the board. So i ordered and received a remanufactured ecm unit but what i cant find out is if it needs to be flashed or not. It has a sticker on it that says must be programmed but that's it. On the site where i ordered it says "system must be programmed locally, if cant be programmed locally then order unit flashed." I asked the parts guys where i ordered it from and they scratched their head and said they didn't know. Does anyone have any idea if a BWD ecm ECC4399Mu needs to be flashed or can i just install and do relearn process?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:18 AM
4th Gear Member

If the sticker says it needs programmed before use, you're going to have to find someone who can do it as I'm almost certain it won't relearn it.

I'd contact Solomon (link below) and see if he can do it.
LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!

You can also try the guys at PCMforLess.
PCMforless

Old 03-01-2013, 12:07 PM
4th Gear Member

Agreed, if sticker read needs programming, then the ECM must be flashed, or programmed. I am surprised dealer didn't offer to reflash, due to exhaust emission stds, but then, the Camaro is 13 years old. But then as written, see if you can send it back to have the rebuilder flash it.

I have not read in troubleshooting, the fule pump relay has been changed, or cleaned. Pumps under load pull about 3-5 amps of power. As the relay contacts just barely close and open, sparks will happen between each contact point building up resistance. The more resistance, the less current/power flowing through the relay. As resistance heats up, more power is given off as heat, less power goes to the pump, and eventually, the pump dies, until the relay cools off, then back to normal working.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

dealer should be able to flash it using your vin numbers.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the reply's! I did find out ecm has to be flashed and programmed, having that done now and will find out Monday if that completely fixes it or not. The dealer didn't even check the computer when i took it to them. When they ran the diagnostics on it, it throwed about 20 codes. Instead of them trying to find the problem they wanted to charge me thousands to replace each part that had coded. So i have tracked down and checked each code on my own and tested or replaced each one. When i finally pulled the computer there was a fried place on it, which is why i ordered the new one. I ordered it through Oreillys and was told it would come flashed and programmed. When the computer came in and i asked again they then advised they didnt know. Go figure. I did replace the fuel pump relay forgot to mention that. Everything with fuel system has been replaced and checked. If this ecm doesnt fix the problem then i will be completly lost as to what the problem is.