LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

95 wont start all of a sudden??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Default 95 wont start all of a sudden??

so i bought a project car and it was susposed to have a seized motor...i had it at my mechanic's shop and offered him a 94 v6 camaro to rebuild the motor..he loked it over and found a bolt was completely loose and one extremely tight on the starter and it was crooked and jamed in the flywheel, lol. i bought a new starter and it started right up after sitting 3+ years. after it was running i sold my v6 camaro(seeing im not giving him a car for changing a starter) and started buying parts for this one but.....

i let it sit for a while as i was moving into my new house. i started and drove it around the block a few times but let it sit for about 3 months. now it will turn over but wont start?
*it will start if i spray quick start in the intake
*now where should i start looking? obviously im not getting fuel.
im planning having someone turn the car over and check for fuel out the schrader valve, i was looking in the fuse box in the engine compartment and did not see any fuse or relay for the fuel pump?? there has to be one right?
* then im planning making a fuel pump access door and testing if i have power to the fuel pump? if i have power i assume i need a new fuel pump.

is there anything im missing? or anything else i should look at?

also my friend said that maybe because the car sat so long and has 1/2 tank of gas that maybe debris settled and clogged up the lines/filter/injectors? and maybe water seperation in the tank from sitting almost 3.5 years??

Last edited by wantaz; 02-09-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:32 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

a empty tank will sweat and collect water over long periods of setting. pump may be all rusted up. u should consider taking the tank out to clean while u change the pump. the fuel system should prime when u turn the key on. dont have to turn the motor over. should be able to hear the pump come on for a few seconds.

Last edited by craby; 02-09-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by craby
a empty tank will sweat and collect water over long periods of setting. pump may be all rusted up. u should consider taking the tank out to clean while u change the pump. the fuel system should prime when u turn the key on. dont have to turn the motor over. should be able to hear the pump come on for a few seconds.
finally got a chance to work on it, checked relay and it was fine, had power at pump, bypassed relay and still nothing, finally took out pump and ran 12v direct with nothing happening, the gas smells stale and obviously old! the pump has a little surface on the metal bracket but nothing extreme.....But now

i found autozone has it for $173.00 where is a good place to look for oem setup and can i buy the entire thing or do i have to add the canister to my existing assembly??

Old 02-16-2010, 06:21 PM
I dont like my title

Originally Posted by wantaz
finally got a chance to work on it, checked relay and it was fine, had power at pump, bypassed relay and still nothing, finally took out pump and ran 12v direct with nothing happening, the gas smells stale and obviously old! the pump has a little surface on the metal bracket but nothing extreme.....But now

i found autozone has it for $173.00 where is a good place to look for oem setup and can i buy the entire thing or do i have to add the canister to my existing assembly??
right theres your issue your pump is bad so there for it want pump fuel to your rail and your getting no fuel whats so ever=No start up.... just buy a new pump and you will be ready to roll.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the assembly is rusted or damaged to the point u think it needs replacing then of course replace it. if not just change the pump. when i changed the pump on the truck i had to replace the whole thing. it was rusted real bad but i haul crab pots with it and they drain sal****er on the truck back there so i think thats y it was so bad. what brand name pump u looking at? check prices with summit and see how they compare.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by craby
if the assembly is rusted or damaged to the point u think it needs replacing then of course replace it. if not just change the pump. when i changed the pump on the truck i had to replace the whole thing. it was rusted real bad but i haul crab pots with it and they drain sal****er on the truck back there so i think thats y it was so bad. what brand name pump u looking at? check prices with summit and see how they compare.
i looked at napa, autozone and advanced auto. all 3 have the same pump napa says its napa brand and the other 2 say its called airtex master but all 2 have the same exact part number (e3908) 1 yr warrantee and napa is $20 more.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM
I dont like my title

Go with autozone if you want a OEM Replacement pump.....but what hes saying is if you ever plan on upgrading the car going with a bigger fuel pump would be a plus to already have like Aftermarket summit,jegs youve got the idea.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default OEM Fuel pumps for 5.7L 93-02 f body's

Log onto ebay for OEM fuel pumps for 5.7L 93-95 f-body for 173.00 I puchaced mine the other day with free shipping
Item Specifics
Part Brand: GM DELPHIPlacement on Vehicle: --Manufacturer Part Number: HP10033 DELCO 43914 GM 25160334 ( FG0013 )Surface Finish: --Interchange Part Number: FIREBIRD TRANS AM CAMARO 5.7L 5.7 V8Warranty: YesOther Part Number: 93 94 95 1993 1994 1995Condition: New

Last edited by SS/Z28cam; 02-17-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Boosted8vfury
Go with autozone if you want a OEM Replacement pump.....but what hes saying is if you ever plan on upgrading the car going with a bigger fuel pump would be a plus to already have like Aftermarket summit,jegs youve got the idea.
i went with advance auto $173, 1 year warrantee and they had it same day.. i pullesd it out and it was pretty dirty, alot of surface rust, i cleaned it up and installed the new pump/strainer/gasket, now about to drain and clean the tank, get the pump in and hopefully get it started later today!!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:28 PM
I dont like my title

Awsome man a good thing to clean out your tank with is kerosene and a chain swash it around a lil and itll clean that tank right up for ya man!hope you get her runing!!!

Last edited by Boosted8vfury; 02-18-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 95 wont start all of a sudden??