LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

'94 Z Blackouts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default '94 Z Blackouts?

So I just bought a set of front and rear AVS blackout lids and just have one quick question.

Being the winter in Chicago suburbs, and the blackouts are made of acrylic, will the snow salt or anything else in the snow beat up/eat away the acrylic? I think I heard that somewhere but I'm not sure.

I would wait until the spring to put em on but I have a gap inbetween my headlights and some of the plastic wire jacket isnt there and the blackouts would keep anything from flying up into my headlight compartment and screwing with anything.

Thoughts? Thanks

Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 PM

I have not heard anything about this. However, having lived in Toronto I have known many people who have used the same kind of covers on their cars and trucks and the salt and snow did not seem to eat away at them at all. As for the rest of the car the salt may not be so easy on it.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jmoss13
I have not heard anything about this. However, having lived in Toronto I have known many people who have used the same kind of covers on their cars and trucks and the salt and snow did not seem to eat away at them at all. As for the rest of the car the salt may not be so easy on it.
I've had them up for a while now and they seem to be fine, just get dirty like every other part of the car in the winter lol. Ended up taking off and selling the front lids seeing as how I had to drive around with my brights on just to BARELY see anything soo....

Last edited by imalixZ28; 01-19-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:22 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by imalixZ28
I've had them up for a while now and they seem to be fine, just get dirty like every other part of the car in the winter lol. Ended up taking off and selling the front lids seeing as how I had to drive around with my brights on just to BARELY see anything soo....

what do you guys who live in climates unfit for humans do with respect to getting the under-carriage washed to get rid of salt? Does it affect the opti and does the car run rough for a while after a car wash??

Old 01-20-2010, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
what do you guys who live in climates unfit for humans do with respect to getting the under-carriage washed to get rid of salt? Does it affect the opti and does the car run rough for a while after a car wash??
lol, I'm lucky enough to have a carwash near my house that washes the undercarriage too. I haven't had any problems with it (knock on wood)

Old 01-24-2010, 10:19 AM

I work in a for a shop up here so I throw it up on a hoist once a week and pressure wash it down. I be very careful with the opti however so it runs no problem afterwards. Also I have moved to Calgary so the salt isnt as big of a problem here. Its too cold for it to be effective so they just dont use it.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jmoss13
I work in a for a shop up here so I throw it up on a hoist once a week and pressure wash it down. I be very careful with the opti however so it runs no problem afterwards. Also I have moved to Calgary so the salt isnt as big of a problem here. Its too cold for it to be effective so they just dont use it.
Nice, I haven't had any problem with the opti yet going under the automatic wash but now that makes me wonder..

You catch the Flames @ Blackhawks last thursday? good game