Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   LT1/LT4 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-lt4-tech-9/)
-   -   94 Camaro over heating & oil pressure (https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-lt4-tech-9/94-camaro-over-heating-oil-pressure-62370/)

bcbarbie 06-04-2011 05:58 PM

94 Camaro over heating & oil pressure

I own a 94 Camaro with only 34,000 kms
I resently experienced some not so nice over heating with
the oil pressure dropping to near nothing! what is the problem?
I have babied this car, and don't understand why this is happening.
Can someone explain to me cause I just spent $1600.00 on mechanic
and he can't figure it out either! HELP

Grandpaswagon 06-04-2011 06:49 PM

Start with the easiest things to check first, have you had it scanned for codes?

Are you certain that it is overheating? When was the last time that you changed / checked the coolant? Have you ensured that the system is properly purged of all air? Many times overheating is caused by an air pocket in the system. It is possible that the temp sensor is bad or the gauge cluster could be acting up. Are you losing any coolant? Have you checked to see if the fans are coming on at the correct temps?

As far as the oil pressure goes, have you checked to make certain that you have the correct amount and type of oil? Is it showing low oil pressure all the time or only when it overheats? It is possible that a sending unit that is starting to go out.

murderedout beauty 06-04-2011 10:57 PM

Easier yet! What is the oil type/ weight that you put in. Is it the same as you have always put in? I just traded for a 94 with the exact same issues. I spoke with the original owner (not who I got it from) and she has given me all the records she had for it. It turns out that the person she sold the car to, put a lighter weight oil in it. Texas heat Demands a bit heavier weight to defend against the high heat. I hope it helps.

craby 06-05-2011 08:02 AM

was the cooling system worked on? if so it could be that the air didnt get blead out correctly. also what kind of oil filter and as mb is saying what kind of oil?

bcbarbie 06-05-2011 02:54 PM

over heating & oil pressure

the car does this while just sitting in the driveway

murderedout beauty 06-05-2011 03:01 PM

Yes I get that....mine does too. The question was what oil and wieght are you running in the engine. Good point was made by Craby, was the air bled out of the cooling system?

bcbarbie 06-05-2011 08:18 PM

over heating & oil pressure

I am running 10/30, is the wrong?

bcbarbie 06-05-2011 08:18 PM

what do you mean air blend out of cooling system?

bcbarbie 06-05-2011 08:33 PM

the only time she cools down is when i am flying down the highway at a pretty good speed, I figure the air from the road cools her off, but this is crazy, there should be no reason for her to be acting up, she's babied. I hope this isn't my fault!

x01660 06-05-2011 09:07 PM

Bcbarbie:

Check out my thread that I started a while ago

https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...nt-leak-60110/

It seems like that is exactly what is happening. In my case, it was the hoses that go to the oil cooler.

They also leaked in such a way that I did not notice the leak since the water evaporated and did not pool.

What you should do is properly flush and bleed your cooling system

4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

But use water. Then, buy or rent a cooling system pressure tester (or go to your local mechanic or radiator shop) and test the system to see if you have any leaks. If not, then drain the water and fill it with coolant. Then come back and let us know so we can continue the troubleshooting

If you have a leak, then you can fix it, flush and bleed the system with coolant, then thank me for telling you to test it with water first so you don't waste $30 on coolant like I did...:icon_wink:

Let us know how it goes.

Good luck and kill Rustanks!!!

x01660