LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

94 Auto to 6sp Electrical Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:51 PM

the only speed that is used for timing and fuel curves is engine speed dont know what vehicle speed would have anything with tuning except for an automatic main fuel correcting sensors are maf,map,ect,o2,and cam and crank sensors(lt1 uses hi and lo resolution sigs from the optispark)

Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Overdrive Member

ok fine, you know how all this works and I am just some backyard mech that used to work for GM, and Lincoln as a mech and am talking out my a$$. Do what you want, and good luck getting it all to work properly. Your PCM uses more info than an ECU does, but what am I saying, you already have this all figured out.

Massey

Old 03-28-2011, 05:58 PM

no need to get panties in a wad and yes i do know what im doing with a auto trans to man trans swap i have done a few and as a current gm tech with 18 years exp i was trained on these systems from gm engineers so i know how they work i was just trying to help someone who had a question about their swap not get into a pissing match with you

Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 PM

I didn't want an argument to crop up, just some information on how to get my car to run better and work with this swap better if it could. I know that the difference in throttle movement has, in the past, made a difference in fuel delivery and timing. I've worked with some 1988 and earlier GM cars and it was a given to swap the ECM to match the trans. I have found out that when idling, if I move the trans indicator switch, the RPMs will drop or rise about 50 rpm (trunk release won't work unless it's in Park either). This switch was just flopping under the console.
Either way, I just want the optimum tune and setup I can get within reason. If I need to drop a harness and PCM in to get it, I'll do it.
The fact that many swaps have worked well tells me that it may not be necessary, but if I can get a little better tune for the car with a little work (point of view for sure!), I'll do it. Isn't that the fun of it? Getting it to run as well or better than it did? It's a project car and project cars are never finished, right?
I'm gonna hook up a laptop to it and record some drives. I already know I'm losing a low rez signal, so that's one issue.
I just enjoy tuning and fixing one, then have it run right and reliably (my wife strongly pushes the reliable side!).
I appreciate the inputs!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thanks for understanding,,, lol. i wondered how you would react to the guys. even us old guys get carried away sometimes. yah there is quite a difference between the obd1 and 2. i can just change the prom to switch to a standard style ecm. still have to change some wiring and stuff. i wouldnt do it though cause i really like the built 4l60.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:57 PM

Thanks C.
I've been on boards before and I have opened my share of "cans of worms"!
Funny thing is, is that each viewpoint usually has some merit. If you can find out why each one has their reason, you can decide what will be the best approach for you.
It's my car, and I will build it the way I want it.
Like some guys go to great lengths to strip out the soundproofing. I want to get it quiet without the wind whistles and noises other than a deep throaty engine sound that wont rattle police car windows! My hearing is going and I've been told to protect what I have or go deaf. No fun there.
BTW, I like your suspension build up. I learned a lot about the Camaro's short comings from reading your build. I'd like to hang a laser pointer on the right hatch corner and shoot the beam to the left A-pillar and see how much twist is in the frame in my favorite curves!