LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

93 LT1 backfiring and missing

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Opti shaft

My replacement Opti came with a shaft installed and when I took the old one off of the car, the shaft did not come off with it. Neither the one in the engine or the new one want to just pull off. Which is best to remove and how do I get it out? Thanks

Old 12-02-2018, 06:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

grab with vice grips or good sized pliers and pull and wiggle. they got o rings inside that can be sticky. pull the one of the engine so chances of messing the opti are minimum,

Old 12-16-2018, 12:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Another question about power steering pump

Guys, I am still in the middle of working on my car. Replaced the spark plug wires but can't get them back in the loom to hold them. Looking at taking power steering pump off to see if I can better get to them. If I remove the 2 bolts holding it on, can I move it enough without draining it to get to the loom behind it?

Old 12-16-2018, 03:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes, if i remember right,,, last brain cell is failing,,, seems like i took the alternator out and the power steering pump lose. it was still a major pain getting them through the brackets.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I took the alternator out and took the bolts out of the power steering pump and still had he!! getting the wires back in the loom but I finally did. Got everything back together and tried to start the car. It sounds much better than it did before but still won't start.

I've read about a guy called OptiDoctor over in the Corvette forums. He rebuilds Optis and sells them. Think he will also rebuild your original if it can be rebuilt. Fully tests them and does a video of it working and sends to you before sending back to you.
Has anyone here used him or know anything about him? A few in the Corvette forums are very pleased with his work.

Last edited by tlgrooms; 12-26-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:33 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if its the california guy i have one in mine now. not many miles on it yet though. few hundred. switched it with the msd i had in it and after getting it out found one of the screws for the rotor was out and lose in there, the other was lose as heck. fixed my backfire. if the opti is not that old you may want to check the rotor first.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lance i think was the name of the guy.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

No, this guys name is Brad. He has some auctions on ebay. If you search seller name 'berrington1' you'll see his auctions. I believe the opti I took off of my car is the original and my car has 270,000 miles on it.
It is my daily driver since 2011. When I bought it in 2011 it only had 80,500 miles. That's why I figure it's the original. I just got a set of the reverse torx tools so I'm going to open the old one up as soon as I get the
chance and see what it looks like inside. I did the stupid thing and bought a cheaper opti from amazon. Think I paid $80 for it and the cable, so that's probably why it's not working. I know you guys warn everyone
about this but money is so tight for me right now I tried it and wasted the $ I guess. I still haven't pulled the cheap one back off yet.

I'm probably going to go the route of letting him rebuild my original when I can scrape up the money. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with him.

Thanks for all your help craby. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by tlgrooms; 12-28-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:58 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are you sure you got the splined shaft in right,,, have seen lots of guys force it on wrong. maybe check when you take it off.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I did have a little difficulty getting it to go in. The old one was lined up at 12 o'clock and I had this one set that way also. Tried moving it left and right and still had trouble. It didn't go in very easily. I will check when I take it out.

Quick Reply: 93 LT1 backfiring and missing