LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

1996 Camaro z28 issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Default 1996 Camaro z28 issues

Alright, so im new to the whole american muscle. I recently purchased a 96 camaro.

I try to fire it up...it cranks...doesnt start
Try again....hesitates...then starts.
Idles a little low? Around 950/960 rpms.
One of my pulleys is screetching, goes away at high rpms.....its the power steering.
When it comes to driving, it just seems sluggish...and it seems like it doesnt know when to shift. Ill punch it...it goes, but takes awhile to downshift. Ive noticed in Drive (not overdrive). It will shift to second, reach 2k rpms and after that it just revs, like the transmission isnt engaging. Hard to explain, ill post some videos up.

Obviously, i knew about the issues with the car...i bought it so i would have something to work on and fix up.

Ive done a search, and ive done some reading.

Also, seems like vacume hoses were installed incorrectly from the intake manifold. Its a vented optispark and right now, theres currently no hoses hooked up to it. Could this be part of the issue? The previous owner put in a new motor, it has pro comp cam, and pro comp rockers. Does it need a tune?

Any help would be appreciated. Im in the clarksville, TN area. Fort campbell.

Thanks

Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you need as much info on the engine as you can get. cam numbers, ratio of the rockers, are they roller rockers. any head work or aftermarket exhaust, if so what size and brand. that kind of stuff. youll need it for a tune. good first step would be to have it scanned for trouble codes at your local parts store, write the numbers for the codes down and let us know what they are. rent a fuel pressure tester and test your fuel pressure. look at number 33 here 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids shobox is good, some good info.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 AM
4th Gear Member

unless it's pristine, and yours does not sound like that, every used car I buy gets

new spark plugs
new wires
(if distributor new cap and rotor) don't do opti unless necessary
new fuel filter
new CAI filter or air filter
if auto, drop pan and do new filter and 4-5 quarts of fluid. If it looks old, I then flush and do all 12 quarts
if manny, drain and refill oil
oil and filter change
drain/refill diff
inspect brakes
inspect/replace vacuum hoses

I then take it from there but the above is "make ready work"