LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

1995 z28, opinions on upgrades and tips will be greatly appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1995 z28, opinions on upgrades and tips will be greatly appreciated

i recently bought a 95 z28 (lt1). theres 80,000 miles. Already got filters and oil changed. opti is starting to go and i think i have an exhaust manifold(or gasket) leak.
My and engine (besides noted) are all in great shape. i was wondering on where to start with upgrading.
when i get a new optispark im also getting the following replaced,again, nothing else is wrong with this car, i just want a good foundation before i tranny start adding performance stuff.
ignition coil(msd), waterpump(summit racing,pro pack,electric), spark plugs(acdelco platinum), wires(summit racing), accessory belt(goodyear), headers(pacesetter performance,long tube),timing gasket kit(fel pro), o rings,
and optispark(aip upgraded, buying off eBay from "all_ignition" ($130!)

is all of this nesisary and what would you recommend? im buy all except from summit racing.
thank you for helping

Old 08-06-2010, 08:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

tips on opti would be great, i guess all ignition has received some bad reviews, and its a 95 so vented or non vented?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:12 PM
4th Gear Member

at a minimum, the summit brand opti.

waterpump- are you sure it needs replacing? Is the weep hole wet?

headers- Pacesetters are a good deal. If you don't have smog laws then get an off road y pipe and decent cat back like magnaflow.

A CAI is also good and an EBAY chrome brand with a K+N filter is OK

an airfoil for the throttle body

Percy's seal-4-good header gaskets

Old 08-06-2010, 08:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i want new water pump because i dont want to risk ruining a new opti. and i was told that long pipes make the car easier to work on, and im not getting new pipes or cats at the moment. i was hoping to wait and just get headers.Whats an airfoil and header gaskets?? for cai i was hoping to wait for when i got a bigger throttle body and finish the exhaust. is that logical?

Old 08-06-2010, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

The opti is the only thing that I would not try to schrimp on....all sensors in them are not created equal. I have seen alot of guys buy the ebay stuff and it fail shortly afterwards. The GM is king/even better than MSD with the opti. I have a box with about 11 optisparks in it that couldn't cut the mustard. The water pumps are pretty tough, but if you replace it, I would go with a meziere water pump: http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc, This makes bleeding the coolant system a breeze. I use the felpro 1404 gaskets for exhaust and they don'y blow, but you have to modify the holes to accomodate proper alignment. Ill sell my magnaflow exhaust for half price with 2000 miles on it. I have a quick time performance cutout on it too. PM me if interested.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:18 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 383Stro
The opti is the only thing that I would not try to schrimp on....all sensors in them are not created equal. I have seen alot of guys buy the ebay stuff and it fail shortly afterwards. The GM is king/even better than MSD with the opti. I have a box with about 11 optisparks in it that couldn't cut the mustard. The water pumps are pretty tough, but if you replace it, I would go with a meziere water pump: http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc, This makes bleeding the coolant system a breeze. I use the felpro 1404 gaskets for exhaust and they don'y blow, but you have to modify the holes to accomodate proper alignment. Ill sell my magnaflow exhaust for half price with 2000 miles on it. I have a quick time performance cutout on it too. PM me if interested.
with ORY? If so, then bobshannon should PM you

Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bobshannon22
i want new water pump because i dont want to risk ruining a new opti. and i was told that long pipes make the car easier to work on, and im not getting new pipes or cats at the moment. i was hoping to wait and just get headers.Whats an airfoil and header gaskets?? for cai i was hoping to wait for when i got a bigger throttle body and finish the exhaust. is that logical?

long tubes, long tubes

long pipes well that's ...nah, you never know if there are women reading this

long tubes are one of the best bolt on mod for these cars but, you need to free up what's behind it and an off road y pipe and free flowing catback are essential

header gaskets are what is needed to attach the long tubes to the cylinder heads. You will need Percy's seal 4 good gaskets if you want no issues. If you don't care about fighting exhaust leaks, then use anything you want.

an arifoil is a simple mod that screws right into the front of your throttle body and helps smoothe the airflow.

You do underatna dthat an intenral combustion engine is in essence a big ole pump. You want to be able to inhale and exhale well. You seek to improve your volumetric efficiency and long tubes and a CAI are a good way to do that.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:31 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you can only afford one thing at a time i would do what you have planned for the opti first, next would be a good cai, moroso, k&n or slp style. you will get some great gains from the cai. more than you would think for just switching air intake. without the cai and a good cat back the headers are not going to do much.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

today when i started it up it didnt crank first try, when it did crank the second time i heard something hit and there was a lil white smoke, this has never happened before. is that my opti still and is it safe to drive? im getting it changed and everything else i listed up top in about three weeks.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes

whats a good arifoil? and where would be good good place to buy percys seal 4 good gaskets? and is the summit racing opti good enough then? or should i go for the gm one?

Quick Reply: 1995 z28, opinions on upgrades and tips will be greatly appreciated