LS Series Tech 1998-2002

where to start(performance)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default where to start(performance)

Okay I just got my 02 SS about a month ago and I am wondering what add ons everyone suggests to gain some horsepower. Now I am talking about things other then superchargers ha, reasonably priced add ons. Right now I have hooker long tube headers, SLP intake and a Diablo programmer. What stuff should I start looking at to improve the car next. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Whats your definition of reasonable?? lol. Well Headers and Intake are pound for pound the best mods other then getting a new heads and cam. But if your lookin for cheaper you can try your hand at underdrive pulleys or deleting your AIR system if you can avoid state emission issues. you can also switch to 4.10 gear ratio, which may hurt your gas mileage a little bit so your car will run at a higher rpm and will reach top speed faster.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

oh and you can also run nitrous if you are brave.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well anything that is about a grand or less is mostly reasonably ha. What will deleting my AIR system do and how is that done? With my exhaust I have the stock SS muffler on there so is that gonna hurt my performance? If it is then I am looking to switch to an 80 series I think. I have kind of been looking at throttle bodies, and spacers, intake manifolds. Are these mods going to do me any good and if so what sizes should I be looking for? Sorry for all the questions i just dont know where to start ha.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

Removing your AIR won't do anything. I assume you have a catted y-pipe, otherwise your AIR would already be deleted. You can add on a catback, but the gain won't be much more than a few rwhp. I wouldn't touch the final gears in the rear end with a stock 10 bolt no less. H/C is the next logical step and will give you the best power for your money. Mild cams, such as the Torquer V2, TR224r and 228r, can put you close to 400 rwhp.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:11 PM

I just bought a 2011 Camaro V6. I'm looking to get sponsored for part and stuff for shows. How would I get started with that, and who would I have to talk to?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

What the heck is the AIR system then? ha maybe I am mixing it up with soemthing. And ya I have no cats on my y pipe. A cam would be nice and I will have to look into it more on how much the actual install would be. But what about intake manifolds, will this do anything other then look nice? Thanks

Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 PM
4th Gear Member

Don't go with Flowmasters, they've been known to actually hurt performance. You have a CAI and headers, so you're on the right track.
I have an article in my lap as I type this of a guy who pulls 11s in the 1/4 mile, with a stock long block. His mod list includes LT headers, exhaust dumped at the rear axle, a slp cai, 4.56 gears in a S60, sticky's, LS6 intake, with LS6 valve springs/rockers, weight reduction (including abs, rear seat, bumper supports and HVAC delete), lightweight glass, battery relocation, and a very good tune, making 317hp and 350 lb-ft of torque at the wheels. He has $22k in the car including original purchase price.

You could do the LS6 intake...not quite sure on the cost though. Rid yourself of any extra weight you can think of. If you don't need a/c, dump it and get a bypass pulley (usually 30 bucks). You get weight reduction and pick up a few ponies.

Gearing, as mentioned before, won't give you more power, but will make you quicker off the line, but can kill your gas mileage (more or less depending on the tranny). If mpg is problem I'd go with 3.73s. If not, 4.10s are the way to go. I'd invest in something other than the 10 bolt. The guy mention before destroyed a 12 bolt with 4.30 gears.

You haven't mentioned whether it was a m6 or a4. If it's an automatic, you can get a stall for it.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sorry I guess I should have specified that it is the a4 and I am looking to make a fast but driveable car. But ya I have been looking into the ls6 intakes and some guys have also suggested the FAST intake which I have not looked into yet. Apparently the ls1 intake really holds her back, whether this is true or not I am not sure. And as for gears I will most likely be looking at the 3.73 to not hurt the gas mileage to much, but I think the 3600 stall should come before that. There is just so much to think about and I want to make sure that things are done right ha. Thanks for the heads up on the flowmaster tho, any muffler suggestions then or stick with what I got?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

You shouldnt have an AIR pump if you are catless. An AIR pump's purpose is to pump warm air into the cats on startup of the car, the pump turns off quickly. Removing the cats eliminates the need for it. You should check to make sure teh actual pump is dissconnected and removed.

His car is a 2002 and therefore already has the LS6 intake and no EGR. LS6 intakes became standard on all 2001-02 fbodies.

You want a stall. For an A4 a stall is the biggest performance enhancer you can get. 3600 is fine for a DD.

I wouldn't do a gear change with the 10 bolt still there.

Catbacks are all preference, magnaflow, loudmouth, gmmg, hooker, etc; pick your posion.

Quick Reply: where to start(performance)