LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Want to buy a 4th gen.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Default Want to buy a 4th gen.

Hey guys im new here in this forum, and as you can see by my screen name i dont own a chevy....... but that will all change soon lol. No really though my question is, im looking to get a 4th gen LS1 camaro ss in a week or two, but before i do i was wondering how easy it would be to increase power to around 450- 500 rwhp, and what kind of supporting mods will be neccesary. On the mustang im at 450 rwhp so i either want to stay the same or increase to 500, but on the the ss i would like to make all motor gains. So how would this be acheived, and how much am i looking to spend ball park?. i was reading a little on the forum about stroker kits they seem pretty popular im assuming. These questions might sound very unstable only cuz im not sure to much of what im getting into, but hey how can you go wrong with a chevy lol!.
Thanks so much for bearing with me and also for the help.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:47 PM

come on guys people are veiwing my post, dont tell me know one can help me, any help is appreiciated.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

Sorry no one has got back to you on this. I'm no expert on the LS1 for as you can see I own the old brother LT. I'll try to be as accurate as possible with out speculating. With a head, cam, injector and of course a tune there should be no reason whay you shouldn't be well above 400hp. That is with all of the supporting mods. Headers, CAI, catback. Drop on a higher flowing intake from F.A.S.T. or equivlent and you should meet your mark. LS1's seem to put out more with the same mods an LT1 would put out. I know a true LS guy will chime in and correct any misinfo and give you way more imput that I can. What I can say is that between the 4.6, LT and LS with similar mods will show the LS on top. Even SC 4.6 have big problems with NA LS motors that have been modded. Hope this helped.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:45 PM

thank you for your reply, that sounds great very achievable should i have aimed higher? because that all seems so simple. How much would i approximetaly be spending on the mods you had just list, im thinking probably 5 or 6 grand?, also with that power level would my rear end be at risk and if so what would be a good upgrade and gear ratio for a 6 speed with a good pair of street radials probably nitto 555's

Old 04-01-2009, 12:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

500+ hp is an easy goal to reach with a good cam, head swap. Check out AI or Lloyds and you can see what kind of numbers they are capable of putting out. Truth be told the 10 bolt these cars have are junk and with the power you're looking to put out a rear swap is a must!! 5-6 grand is probably a little high. I would say more in the area of 3-4 would be sufficent.