LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Suggest some mods!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 11:52 PM
Default Suggest some mods!

Alright. I just got a 98 z28 and want to toy with it some. It has aftermarket pipes, a shortshift, and an upgraded clutch.

I'm going to first off changed all the fluids, spark plugs, etc... Then comes the good stuff. I found some cool stuff on ebay like aluminum grilles for relatively cheap, xenon headlights, maybe new taillights... I'm looking for either performance or cosmetic things to poke with, so any suggestions are welcome.

I'm not looking to spend thousands on a turbo charger or anything, that comes later.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:10 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Suggest some mods!

you need a lid, is "aftermarket pipes" full exhaust or just catback or what?

if just catback then get headers and y-pipe, then a 150 shot of nitrous

Old 12-27-2006, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Your car responds incredibly well to basic bolt-ons, be glad you made a smart purchase if you plan to go fast and expect good bang for your buck performance.

Your cars stock manifold/y-pipe exhaust sucks. You should consider a LID & Long tube headers. I vote no on the aluminum ideas & on the new tail light idea, but that's just my opinion. [8D]

Old 12-27-2006, 06:02 PM

I'm not sure on what exact mods have been made, I am still waiting from the email from the seller with the full list of exactly what was done.

And I should have clarified, I'm just changing the bulbs inside the lights to the new bright bulbs. I don't think I'll be changing the whole assembly, though I was looking at a few.

Nitrous is out of the question, but I'm interested in converting to a full exhaust system if it's only part. We'll see, I guess I posted too early without the specs you need [sm=tongue.gif]

Old 12-27-2006, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Could you post pictures of the engine bay?

Old 12-27-2006, 06:11 PM

Sorry, I don't make the link to my car stand out in my sig, shoulda posted it in the main post. Here you go though

edit -- and yes, I know it needs a good degreasing

Old 12-27-2006, 07:14 PM

"Steve -

* Engine programmed
* short shift
* Centerforce stage 2 clutch
* .410 gears
* SLP Loudmouth exhaust
* K&N air filter

Also, I see a note about the axles, but I can't read it exactly - they are either new (or 'ney' or 'nex') - probably 'new', but I can't be sure."

Old 12-27-2006, 09:42 PM
2nd Gear member

its 4.10 gears, and you have an aftermarket lid already

you have the same exhaust as i do, you need some longtube headers and a y-pipe, catted or not is up to you, i have heard that ORYs make the loudmouths rasp like mad and sound like garbage.

why is nitrous out of the question? you could get heads, cam and a tune, but if you get into some higher horsepower numbers with sticky tires your rear end won't last long

the stock 10 bolt is the weakest part of the car.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:06 PM
4th Gear Member

I would do an LS6 intake manifold and long tubes, then down the road a cam swap.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

I would do an LS6 intake manifold and long tubes, then down the road a cam swap.
i forgot LS6 since i have one, nice call

Quick Reply: Suggest some mods!