LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Steering wheel help/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:27 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Steering wheel help/opinions

Hey guys, I need some opinions. All are welcome. I want a new steering wheel for my 99 Z28. One around or under $100. I still have the factory one with just the two horn buttons. I want a different steering wheel. One like seen in this video,

YouTube - ‪Street Driving w/Faceplated T56 Heads/Cam Trans Am‬‏

The guy says that he bought it off of ebay. I have looked and looked and have not been able to find it. I am wondering if you guys have seen a wheel like this anywhere other than ebay or if you can find one on ebay that will fit a 4th gen. And also what you guys think about it. Are there any other cool steering wheels out there that you like?
Thanks!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear member

What do you guys think?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear member

So no one is interested in a different steering wheel??

Old 06-29-2011, 06:11 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think O'Reilly Auto Parts had some similar aftermarket steering wheels last time I was there. might be worth a look.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:06 AM
2nd Gear member

Well I used to have the 3 spoke crome one, with the holes in the spokes, in my old 66 Dodge D100! But I don't want that one, and I don't want the GT 4 spoke one either. I want a 3 spoke one but Orielys and Advanced don't have what I want. Has no one on here changed their steering wheels?

Old 07-01-2011, 04:05 AM
2nd Gear member
Old 07-01-2011, 04:17 AM
2nd Gear member

Another question, these all say that they are universal... Will they already fit or would I need an instillation kit?

Old 07-01-2011, 06:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes you will need an install kit on top of the cost of the wheel. $100-$150 is a reasonable budget for what you want. The kit will be about a third of that. I have to ask why you want to do this. If it is just to look cool or have something different I get it. I swapped the wheel on an 86 model I had. If it is because of wear on your stock wheel might I suggest Wheelskins. It is a leather wrap you sew onto you current wheel. I have a WheelSkins leather wrap on my wheel and it is really nice.

Another thing I would look into is how to get the air bag warning light to stay off if you swap the factory wheel for an aftermarket. You are not going to have an airbag so unless you rig it somehow the light will be on.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:07 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah I don't really like the look of the 99 down steering wheels. If I had the one with the volume and cruise buttons on it id like it better but I have an aftermarket radio and aftermarket clutch and pedals so the buttons would have no funtionallity at all.

Where would I find an install kit to go with the wheel id need or want? Also does anyone know the factory steering wheel size?

Originally Posted by AlaJoe
Yes you will need an install kit on top of the cost of the wheel. $100-$150 is a reasonable budget for what you want. The kit will be about a third of that. I have to ask why you want to do this. If it is just to look cool or have something different I get it. I swapped the wheel on an 86 model I had. If it is because of wear on your stock wheel might I suggest Wheelskins. It is a leather wrap you sew onto you current wheel. I have a WheelSkins leather wrap on my wheel and it is really nice.

Another thing I would look into is how to get the air bag warning light to stay off if you swap the factory wheel for an aftermarket. You are not going to have an airbag so unless you rig it somehow the light will be on.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:12 AM
2nd Gear member

I hate navigating through Summit Racing! Everything is either universal or just says Chevrolet but doesn't specify to a certain vehicle. Anyway, pretty much all I could find was this,

Grant Products 3163 - Grant Steering Wheel Installation Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Would that make this steering wheel,

REAL LEATHER 3" DEEP DISH DRIFTING STEERING WHEEL 330MM | eBay

Fit my car?

Quick Reply: Steering wheel help/opinions