LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Rear end help?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:54 AM
Default Rear end help?!?

Hey guys, my rear end is making a "whining" sound when I let off the gas as I am driving but goes away when I press in the clutch or drive down in neutral. My friend said I need a new differential. Any suggestions? Do I need a new differential and if so a 12 bolt or 9" ford? or is there a way I can beef up my 10 bolt? Im not looking to spend more than a grand...lol I rather put that into my engine

Old 06-08-2010, 06:45 AM
3rd Gear Member

mine whines too, but im waiting till it breaks

camaro 10 bolts are notorius for a bit of noise and it doesnt have to be broken. GM did shim up some of the later 2001 + camaros a little tight so you get whine. I wouldn't worry unless you hear cluncking and have had the cover off and there are shards of metal in there.

How many miles does the car have on it??

You can buy a new diff unit with gears for $600 ish but still not as strong as a 12 bolt or 9", which are 2500 upwards for ABS TSC models

Old 06-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Its a 2000 z28 M6 with about 173k miles on it. I actually just bought the car a few weeks ago from a lady at Cottonwood AZ and drove bake to NM. This is not my first Camaro but a first for V8 .

Anyways I believe she said the rear end was leaking. Im thinking to take it apart in a bit to look inside for said metal shavings plus I want to add some new fluid just for peace of mind.

And yes...I do plan on getting a new rear end down the road. Just hard pressed since the price tag as you know can reach up $2500 and up especially for a Moser

Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM
3rd Gear Member

go 9" 12 bolts last and are strong but often have some whine after some track visits. if you want you could browse classifieds. i got such a steal on my moser 9" got it for $2500 with every rear suspension component except lca's but i got the sub frame connectors too. theres lots of deals out there u just gotta find them. do your best not to modify and spend $$ on a 10 bolt not worth it if it breaks and u need one while you save money there a dime a dozen all in the price range of $150-$250

Old 06-09-2010, 02:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah if the fluid has leaked a bit then the pinion gets loose and bearing do wear out then due to insufficient oil, espesially if it is high mileage. I'd check and have a look if you can and think about replacing the pinion oil seal if thats where it leaks from but its a bit of a hassle to do

Old 06-17-2010, 10:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The ring and pinion set could also be the cause of the whining, like previously stated, due to insufficient oil level..and i have read in some articles that in some year models a slight whine in the rear end is normal due to how it was shimmed at the factory..mine whines a little too but thats just because of the 4.10's

Old 06-18-2010, 06:41 PM

A little update...I added semi-syn gear oil (walmart brand) a few days ago. I needed about 1.6 quarts of oil so I WAS pretty low. The sound was a little bit more quiet to me. Everyone else said it still sounds the same and that I might be losing it lol. You guys think adding Lucas gear oil will help much? Heard a 50/50 blend with synthetic/Lucas will quiet it down significantly.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:44 AM

Reviving this thread to clear a the noise issue.

Turns out the noise is coming from the input bearing from the transmission. Not the rear end pinion bearing. I took the Z to a few specialty shops to hopefully have this matter solved. Was diagnosed on the spot and was given a price tag of about $2300-$3000. Used transmission + labour. ouch...

Old 04-09-2011, 04:46 AM

If I can, I will try to drop my first transmission and change this input bearing. Any advice, links, or pics are welcome. Thanks guys.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Overdrive Member

Sounds like someone needs new bearings, not a cheap job, unless you do it yourself... No, the whining/whirring is NOT normal, it means you need new bearings!

Are you having problems with trans-slip? If not, I doubt you need a new used tranny...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 04-11-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear end help?!?