LS Series Tech 1998-2002

New to LS1 n LOVIN It!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default New to LS1 n LOVIN It!

The throttle response of the ls1 is insane, i just got a 98 z28 and i think its awesome! I was just wondering if there were any quick tips or tricks to help my ls1 perform at its peak. The car was wrecked and not very well taken care of.. i have already put new plugs and a transmission pan gasket and filter along with clean oil and a new fuel filter - any other ideas of what will help me get it back to driving like new????

Old 10-03-2008, 11:49 PM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: New to LS1 n LOVIN It!

run at it's peak ......meaning.....bone stock?? Or running close to its peak of 600rwhp befor the bottom end breaks?

Yes the throttle is great...BUT, put on full bolt ons, exhaust, cam and heads...and then you'll really be knocking on the door of insanity. Anything more than that and you'll just go straight to hell....but very very fast [sm=gears.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 10-04-2008, 11:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I meant running bone stock with exhaust cause thats all the car really has and it was wrecked so i want to get it cleaned up and running decent before i go crazy and mod the hell out of it! and yeah i can imagine anything over 450hp would be pretty intense i really enjoy driving the car just want to give a tune and looking for some input on things to target on the car. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2008, 11:06 PM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

just the usual..a good tune up, depending on miles maybe change the fuel filter, differential fluid, radiator flush, injector cleaning or some new ones all together, check to make sure the alternator is doing its thing and the battery is good, etc. and if its higher mileage then you may want to look at new shocks oh and don't forget the safety...brakes, rotors (warping)

good luck

Old 10-07-2008, 07:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah it has alot of miles 117k it was wrecked too.. so i bought it from a dealership that sells only salvaged vehicles- i don't know the history of the car at all so, so far i have done:
New Plugs
drained transmission new fluid new filter and gasket - put a little lucas in there cause it was shifting hard
new oil and filter
it has a K+N filter so ... i dont know if i should clean it or not
new pcv
i need to replace the cruise control module i think cause it doesn't work but yeah thats a different problem
i checked the rear end gear and it was like empty so we refilled it and now where going to flush it again and fill it when i get home
any other big suggestions - how much of an effect are plug wires??
iam running like 2500 rpms on the interstate doing 76 mph ... seems high to me my v6 was doing 2800 at 77 so...
i have ran seafoam through the gas, and through the vaccuum line...
I APPRECIATE ALL COMMENTS!!!!!!
P.S. - sick car zoilus love the hoodscoop and i need to find my right side front bumper lower valance yet. can't wait to get mine painted!

Old 10-07-2008, 11:46 PM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: KS77

Yeah it has alot of miles 117k it was wrecked too.. so i bought it from a dealership that sells only salvaged vehicles- i don't know the history of the car at all so, so far i have done:
New Plugs
drained transmission new fluid new filter and gasket - put a little lucas in there cause it was shifting hard
new oil and filter
it has a K+N filter so ... i dont know if i should clean it or not
Yeah although its a K+N they have to be cleaned and "recharged". You have to buy the kit. I think they sell them at Autozone or you can get them online. The kit cost between 10-$15 depending where you get it. It has some chemicals that clean and oil up the filter and give it its color back at the same time. You'll have to do it at some point. I do mine about every 6-8 weeks.
new pcv
i need to replace the cruise control module i think cause it doesn't work but yeah thats a different problem
i checked the rear end gear and it was like empty so we refilled it and now where going to flush it again and fill it when i get home
any other big suggestions - how much of an effect are plug wires??
None! but you may want to get NEW original wires. Wires really do nothing for HP and aftermarket ones usually are built in 2 pieces. They look nice but when you got to change your plugs again, some will start to break apart at the boot. So stay with stock they hold up well into the extreme high HP range and are sturdy
iam running like 2500 rpms on the interstate doing 76 mph ... seems high to me my v6 was doing 2800 at 77 so...
This is high for a v8. you should be around 1800-1900 max at those speeds. with all the stuff in my car I do around 75mph at 1500-1600rpm. The person before you may have changed out gears but that just doesn't seem right and it would still be high. It would be another really really good idea to get a complete diagnostic done on the car by a shop that knows it's stuff. Because if it was in a wreck so many things could be wrong without any lights coming on or u could have a light on but the bulb is out so you dont see it.
i have ran seafoam through the gas, and through the vaccuum line...
I APPRECIATE ALL COMMENTS!!!!!!
P.S. - sick car zoilus love the hoodscoop and i need to find my right side front bumper lower valance yet. can't wait to get mine painted! thanks! I'm sure your's will look great. just remember if at some point you are going to have extensive work done, like heads, cam, etc... you may want to do the outside last. Cuz you'll paint the outside first then the people working on your car are not carful and will damage you paint with accidents, liquids, and such getting your parts installed. So be careful...good luck

Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i knew something was wrong with it its an A4 so the rpms would be a little bit higher but, still not that high. I'm starting to think theres something wrong with the transmission, by the time i hit 30 mph when im granny driving its in 4th gear already = gutless and if i rod on it it downshifts really hard.
Also starting to wonder if running 87 octane is hurting it - wouldn't be suprised but some people say they run it just fine no loud knocking or pinging though- iam going to try 91 octane on thursday for a 200mile trip home see the differences.
i get like 20 in town and highway mix though.
my rear end has the 3.23 gear ratio stock but who knows if thats really in there.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:37 PM
2nd Gear member

I have an lt1 with the a4 and 3.23s, and your highway rpms are essentially the same as mine. as is your mileage, and I have 145K miles. Are you sure you don't have an lt1? :P

Old 10-13-2008, 03:43 PM

I also have a 98 Z with an A4. i thought it reved a little high, but i think that's just because it only has four gears. so, as long as it will still top out in the 150 or higher range, id say you have nothing to worry about. oh and i have a flowmaster exhaust, sounds like a dream.

PS. have fun whippin your first mustang if you havent all ready!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Nope i haven't gotten to eat a mustang alive yet :P i want to though i ate a honda by about 5 cars haha he was tellin me he had a swapped motor that was pretty quick pretty quick hahahah.. yeah i did some work to it and its getting better- new rotor on one side cause it was making alot of noise along with new rear break pads and then new gear oil in the rear end along with pulled the throttle body off and cleaned it out also cleaned IAC and the MAF so it was doing about 2350 at 78 which is closer, but then after an hour of driving it climbed to 2450... no idea why it went up i never adjusted the cruise.. o2 sensor messing with it?? i still got 24.6 mpg which is better than the first run of 21.9... ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!

Quick Reply: New to LS1 n LOVIN It!