LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Need Help with 01 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Default Need Help with 01 exhaust

hi i have an 01 ss with borla catback but stock y pipe id like to make it an x pipe however have heard theres issues when doing it with this generation due to clearance. also i would like to run long tube headers and ideas on what i should do or brands to go with. looking for louder sound for the borla but mainly equalize exhaust and hp gain from the stock y

Old 05-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Overdrive Member

If I go for LT Headers & Y, I plan on Kooks on my SS...

Old 05-13-2010, 09:16 PM

was looking into flowtech universal x-pipes and heddman headers today still unknown on the clearance issue tho

Old 05-14-2010, 03:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I got Hooker headers, havent put them on the car yet, but the y pipe definelty needs changing with LT's i dont have a preference there im getting a used one from a buddy cant remember the brand but its a good one. Just has a ding from smacking the ground a few time. My headers are ceramic coated also.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

as SS 2000 knows i've got a set of LT waiting to go on too, and making 3" custom true dual set-up with x pipe. Ill let you know how it goes, i think i'll have a clearance issue, but hell, it will sound awesome

Old 05-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by SS_2000
I got Hooker headers, havent put them on the car yet, but the y pipe definelty needs changing with LT's i dont have a preference there im getting a used one from a buddy cant remember the brand but its a good one. Just has a ding from smacking the ground a few time. My headers are ceramic coated also.
Using a factory workshop manual for the hookers or experienced?

Old 05-21-2010, 03:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Neither, just have a good friend that knows more bout these cars than i do. We're gonna do the work at his shop he works at on a weekend. He has a nice trans am same year he built not too long ago, wicked car just need a rear end!! Im sure its gonna be a pain putting them in being its so cramped like you all know. Thats why i bought the good ones!! ONly wanna do the job one time.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:50 AM

Lucky guy! You don't have to twist your brains to get it done and wise decision too. One time is better then messing with it again and again which involves so many strains and drains.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:40 AM
3rd Gear Member

well update people,

got the LTs in, nd ims super happy with the quality and fit, they are EBAY OBX ones and were $199 for the pair for 98-99 ones. No knocks and clears everything by a min of 1/4" so even when i rev its ok.

my father fabricated some true duals, 3" under the axle and they are super snug to the floow, only the flanges on the collectors bang sometimes. Anywhere where the exhaust would touch got bent a little with a rubber hammer, ie the rear passanger seat underside. Where the pipe went near the passanger front seat we flattened it a little and flattened it under the drivers side and new the torque arm. We went under the axle as there is loads of room anyway. The only clearence I have is from a custom 1" pipe transmission cross brack that sites 1" lower than the exhaust. Plus my car is lowered too.

Sounds awesome thought

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uq_D1NK0TE8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uq_D1NK0TE8&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

Sounds good Maudy, do you have cats installed?

Quick Reply: Need Help with 01 exhaust