LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Max HP??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 06:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Max HP??

hey guys i just bought my first camaro here are the specs as the owner told me... he really didn't know exactly what was in the car... but this is what i know...
the camaro is a '99 SS 6spd, it has:
-zo6 intake and throtle body
-ported and polished heads
-a massive comp cam (not sure of specs but intake lift is .618)
-patriot valve springs with dampner springs
-Diamond forged pistons (flat with valve relieves, i think larger bore)
-forged rods (80% sure)
-hooker long tube headers
-custom Y pipe and the rest of the exhaust is just plain (SH*%#Y!)
-Michey Thombson street/strip tires
-B&M ripper shifter with billet ****

it dyno'd a very fulfilling 380whp/380wtq on 95 octane... which is about 50HP/TQ more than the late C6... i love it... it makes me grin automatically as my right foot goes deeper into the floor board...

My question is shouldn't it be doing more hp? what #'s do you normally get from a set up like this?

Last edited by Sinner; 06-28-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:44 PM

Ehhh, it all depends, it could be fulfilling if you go in and get a full tune. Personally I think it should be pushing a little more, but you never know. But the z06 parts could be replaced with FAST intake mani. and throttle body and I guaruntee you'll be pushing more. But be happy with that! You got yourself a pretty quick car!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:46 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

There is a lot of gray area in there man. First off you should be making more power with a large cam and a forged engine. Thats the kind of numbers i would expect to see from a car that was bolted with a good cam and ported heads and a nice tune. I would also expect the torque to be a little bit better.

Keep in mind the C6 was a LS2 and is now a LS3. The LS2 cars dyno around 360 and the LS3 cars should be around 380 at the wheels.

Intake, Headers, and y-pipe should give you around 330 give or take at the wheels.

Now you add a LS6 intake with good valve springs and you should pick up around 10 horses for a respectfull 340 once again give or take a few

You could gain a few horses from a good tune at this point. I would think it would be safe to say you should have around 350 at the wheels. Keep in mind this is headers,LS6 intake,Y-pipe, springs and a good tune.

Now for the cam. this is somthing are cars like! (A LOT) A mild cam will pick up 30 horses at the wheels and even more toque. Now a more agressive cam could net even a few more horses with the right set. This is where a tune and springs became a must. If you dont have a tune you should have one.

Now ported heads are not going to give you a huge kick like a set of aftermarket heads would. But you should pick up at least a few good horses.

Now if he has punched it out and put forged parts into it a lot comes into play. A lot depends on your CR (compression ratio) If he was building a NA car he should have bumped up the CR to get the most out of it. However if some one was doing all this on a LS1 most people would do a good set of ARP head studs and at least good Rod and main bolts to help spin her a little higher.

With that being said i dont know a lot of people that build a NA LS1 like that. If i was spending all that money i would add a crank and stroke her out to a good 374 all the way up to a 402. Also like i said above it would be retarded not to add a good set of fasteners at this point to hold the heads on and keep the bottom on.

A stock LS1's pistons and rods are good up to around the 550 mark. Most people start replacing them once you hit the low 500s. A hot comes down to a good tune. A bad tune can cause even a bolted engine to fail.

Since you are not sure what work you have done i would take it in to a good LSX shop with at least 3 years of Dyno experince that use HP-tuners. Have the car tuned and see how it does. You may pick up a few horses and you will have some insurance that you are not playing with a ticking time bomb.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:05 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 98ssconversion
Ehhh, it all depends, it could be fulfilling if you go in and get a full tune. Personally I think it should be pushing a little more, but you never know. But the z06 parts could be replaced with FAST intake mani. and throttle body and I guaruntee you'll be pushing more. But be happy with that! You got yourself a pretty quick car!
Most early LS1 cars pick up around 7-10 horses with the LS6 manifold (un-tuned) On the same car the smaller FAST manifold and TB will pick up around 15-17 at the wheels. So here is the question is 5-10 horses worth 1000? Thats for each LS1 owner to decide for him self.

At some point you would need to upgrade for flow at some point but not at this point. The LS6 manifold he is running now is more then able to support his air demands. So i would say no at this point.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well i don't know much about dyno tuning but those numbers are after doing so in a very respectable shop... and in the hands of a very knowlegable tuner... i'm yet to check my comp ratio but the previous owner told me that he set it up to run a 500 hp shot... so i don't think it's that low...

never the less i'm thinking of either adding a turbo to the combination or stroke the motor out, i think i'll need a crank and rods for the later... am i right?

and i'm also going to make it a more flowing true dual exhaust car but i don't think that is where i'll find the rest of my lost hp....

Last edited by Sinner; 06-28-2009 at 07:22 PM.