LS Series Tech 1998-2002

looking at a 98 z28

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Default looking at a 98 z28

What's up guys, new to the forums. I'm actually here to ask a few questions about these cars and the z28 platform. I ended up hydroplaning in my mustang gt the other day, went across the interstate, smack right into a wall, and totaled it. So I'm in the market for a new car and recently found a nice little 98 z28 for $4500, has 160k on the clock. New clutch, flywheel, tranny has been rebuilt, full exhaust (sounds amazing), and a s/t shifter (can't remember brand off the top of my head), has receipts for everything. I'm getting a 5500 check for the insurance company so i figure, pay 4500, maybe talk him down another hundred or two. Get the car use the extra money as a good starting point for an engine rebuild. Or wait until this engine finally goes and rebuild then. Car will be my DD by the way.

so question time

How much power can the stock internals handle on the LS1? I'm not going F/I or anything on it, but am planning full bolt ons and cams and a conservative tune eventually. Should be more than enough power for me, hell the upgrade from a 2v to a LS1 is going to be enough for a while lol

so what are some common issues with these cars? I heard piston slap can be in issue with some cars. True?
any other issues?

Since exhaust is done in the car(usually first thing I do in a car), do gears in these cars really wake up the car? Sure as hell did in my stang, probably stick with 3.73s if I get them. Recommend?

anything you recommend me finding out before I purchase it? Any recalls or anything, or replacement parts that i should look for.

thanks in advance for the help guys!

Old 11-09-2009, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Check it out thouroughy & get a carfax. Make sure you like everything & definetely negotiate a few bucks so you can save for mods!

10 bolt rear end can be a weaker point with a 6spd & added power. 3.73's would be good for a DD.

Do intake, Cam, Heads?, Tune for sure & get some good valve springs to go w- Cam.

Does it have headers or catback?

LS1 internals will handle basic bolt-ons w-o much worry.