LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Just got a camaro... 400hp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007 | 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Just got a camaro... 400hp?

magnaflow with long tubes is a great setup, you wont be dissapointed. Get all the bolt ons first the consider heads and cam swap, since you're not a big fan of nitrous.

Old 06-13-2007 | 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

The reason I said nitrous is bad if you spray it alot is because. By spraying nitrous you increase pressure inside your car, burns hotter, and can and will burn your piston rings valves, etc. Granted if your motor is built for it then you won't have these problems, 9 times out of 10 though people just slap in on there and spray away. I do have experience with nitrous my dads car had nitrous...it blew up, a friend of mine from works 5.0 caught on fire, and a friend of mine got killed spraying nitrous on his car. All my experiences with it are negative. But yes it is personal preference I agree with slvrZ28 in that racing all motor and winning is more gratifying than spraying nitrous to win.

Old 06-13-2007 | 06:18 PM
4th Gear Member

Actually nitrous will not hurt the car anymore than adding power in other ways. AS LONG AS you stay within the safe limits of your engine. Anytime we add power to our engines we increase cyclinder pressure, or add more air and fuel, it's a pretty simple concept. Nitrous just do this in a much more efficiant and quicker manner. On a stock motor a 100 shot is pefectly safe, as long as all precuations are taken. Just because I am curious, how did your friend get killed by using nitrous?

Old 06-13-2007 | 07:40 PM
2nd Gear member

granted that using nitrous will cause more wear and tear on the engine than not using it, but any power adder will do this.

and how did the 5.0 catch fire? nitrous is non-flammable. it breaks into oxygen and nitrogen at around 600 degrees....

and trust me, it feels just as good to win with nitrous as without it. how would you know if you've never sprayed?

its sounds like all the people you know of that have used nitrous used it incorrectly

Old 06-13-2007 | 10:04 PM
2nd Gear member

according to NOS (yes the company) a bone stock V8 can handle a 140 even with cast pistons...i would love to put a bottle on my car until i can get the funds to do the LT4 conversion

Old 06-13-2007 | 10:19 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: nickdotcom

granted that using nitrous will cause more wear and tear on the engine than not using it, but any power adder will do this.

and how did the 5.0 catch fire? nitrous is non-flammable. it breaks into oxygen and nitrogen at around 600 degrees....

and trust me, it feels just as good to win with nitrous as without it. how would you know if you've never sprayed?

its sounds like all the people you know of that have used nitrous used it incorrectly
Nope, Oxygen isn't flamable at all[sm=wakeup.gif]

And I also contest that my full exhaust has caused no more stress on the engine than if the exhaust and intake were still stock...I would also like to note that purchasing heads that flow better, but maintain the same combustion chamber size to keep the stock compression cause no more stress on the motor either.

Old 06-13-2007 | 10:36 PM
2nd Gear member

cop ur doing the lt4 conversion! im so fing proud of u lmao.. but anyways back to the 400hp question get sone good headers to a cat-back or true dual w/e u want, and check out a ms4 cam from texas-speed.com they are the ****, check out there heads as well like jd was saying... and get it dyno tuned u will be around 400 at the wheels with that then add a bottle with a 75 shot like nick has and u will be dam happy with wat ur car does...

Old 06-14-2007 | 01:46 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

And I also contest that my full exhaust has caused no more stress on the engine than if the exhaust and intake were still stock...I would also like to note that purchasing heads that flow better, but maintain the same combustion chamber size to keep the stock compression cause no more stress on the motor either.
please point out were i said oxygen isn't flamable. may be hard because i never said that...

and whether its a noticable amount or not isn't the question, whether you like it or not adding intake and exhaust is increaseing the output of the motor thus adding more wear and tear.

more free flowing heads are doing the same thing, more air + more fuel = bigger bang

Old 06-14-2007 | 08:16 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

Oxygen in a pure state is flamable, but in the small percentage that is in N2O it is not. N2O is non-flamable, look at the sticker on a tank somtime.

Old 06-14-2007 | 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok the reason the 5.0 caught on fire is because the pressure on his intake was so great that it blew off and it backfired burning up his wires near there and his filter. He is an NHRA racer so I doubt he was using it incorrectly. How my friend got killed is from what the police report said he was taking a turn and he had it hooked into his throttle body so when he floored it it would spray. During the turn he pressed the gas and it sprayed he lost control went into a ditch flipped it 3 times and hit a phone pole killing him instantly. I guess you are correct in saying he wasn't using it correctly, but it is very unfortunate that that happened to him. I do not see how you can say that Nitrous is no harder on your motor than other power adders. Think about it say a 100 shot of nitrous gives you 100 hp even with no other supporting mods. If you were to do all motor and get the same amount of hp you will have to do mods that work together to keep your motor running peachy and still provide that power over a much broader range therefore doing less wear to it. Nitrous adds that amount of power in an instant and only keeps it there while it is being added.
Analogy: Which puts more strain on a rope or chain a constant pulling of say 100 pounds, or a sudden on and off jerking of 100 pounds. Which will cause the rope or chain to break first?

Quick Reply: Just got a camaro... 400hp?