LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Inspection time - SES light question related

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Default Inspection time - SES light question related

2002 Chevy Camaro Z28 M6 vert 133,000 miles

Car is past due on inspection and I wanted to know if I could reset my PCM and pass an inspection. I heard that you have to have a certain amount of time or mileage on the PCM before it'll allow a shop to pass it.

I've got a busted secondary air intake system and two other things related to intake. I think...

I just went to Autozone and they scanned my car with the OBDII thing. Came back with 0 errors or mention of the car having too few miles on it.

Now, can I take my car to an inspector and have them pass me with no problems or will I get hit with that error that I haven't driven the car enough?

Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So, your light is still on? One look at your dash and they'll fail you. Since AutoZone found no errors, how come they didn't reset the computer for you with their OBDII thing? Tell them you fixed the problem and need it reset. The guys at my local store are nice enough to do it.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
So, your light is still on? One look at your dash and they'll fail you. Since AutoZone found no errors, how come they didn't reset the computer for you with their OBDII thing? Tell them you fixed the problem and need it reset. The guys at my local store are nice enough to do it.
Thanks for the quick responce, Camaro 69!

Oh, no. After I reset my PCM, I have no SES light.

Can they reset the PCM with the OBDII scanner? Is it any different than I resetting it by pulling the PCM Batt fuse for 1/2 an hour?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:22 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

they can clear the codes for you. what are the codes, and what state are you in?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:33 PM

Not sure of the codes, it was too long ago that I had em checked. They had something to do with my Secondary Air Injection System and the temp sensor on my intake. I think it was like 3 codes total but the car runs unbelievably smooth and well. I'm prolly taking a small MPG hit cause of that though.

Now when you say "clear the codes", does it remove the codes from my computer and removes the SES light for a short time or permanently? I don't understand so if you could fill me in a bit more, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks, microkid.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:50 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

it removes them permanently. now if there is still an issue, that code will return when the computer sees an issue with it. now the problem is with clearing codes, it can also clear out driving parameters, and some emissions test require all of these parameters to be checked off. it usually takes about 5 trips for all of the markers to be checked off. but it also depends on the state that you are in as to what they actually check. pa emissions (except pittsburgh and philly), all they test is that the cel is set when the gas cap is removed, that the gas cap passes a pressure test, and there are no active codes. i dont think they check to make sure all of the markers are set

Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 PM

Thanks a lot, mate. I'll give it a try to try and pass without doing the autozone code clearing and just a normal PCM reset. If it doesnt work, I'll try the autozone clear.

Thanks for the help, microkid!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:33 PM

Oh, and Texas.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Droid

Once the codes are cleared the PCM starts what is known as a drive cycle which lasts a preset time and distance, depending on car. Until this cycle has completed the scanner will indicate that the PCM is not ready for an OBDII smog test. During the cycle, in addition to DCT being stored, the PCM will run several diagnostic tests that do not actually test sensors, but looks for certain conditidions. In other words, after all codes have been cleared, the timer starts, and you need to drive around for a few days before the PCM will show ready for test, that is if no trobles come in during the period.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Pete, is that drive cycle also tied into any certain number of engine restarts, or solely distance and time driven?

Quick Reply: Inspection time - SES light question related