LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Im the longest thread..Service engine light for no reason :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Default Im the longest thread..Service engine light for no reason :(

Hi all, ok I wont try to bore anyone if this has been posted a million times. I used the search as well with no luck. But I think my problem is special, I have a 87 RS 305. 600 series edelbrock carb and performer intake with egr blocked off, edelbrock headers going back to the cats. MSD ignition Blaster, MSD 6AL module. I have no mufflers on it, I drive my baby no more then 3000 miles a year because its an emissions nightmare Basically I pulled everything off it that is needed for emissions. But due to the low miles I do I get thru inspection each year, but here is my issue. My service engine light has come on after having this car for 10 years. I do not know where to even start trouble shooting. I did my upgrades 9 years ago and never had the light come on. Then after it was sitting over the winter the light just came on. Now excuse my ignorance but I mostly work on my Supra, but I am an American Muscle girl at heart too. When my supra light would come on I know it was an electrical issue or blown code. And that would happen only because the turbo upgrades I have done to it. So am I thinking way to out of the box, that this light means the same as in electrical issue. As in o2 sensors or such, which I have none on the car. Or have I just been lucky the last 9 years it did not come on then...Help

Old 03-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Tech Droid

Get it scanned & see what the complaint is about.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:19 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

^X2, get it scanned.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:06 PM

Mabe I am retarded, but get it scanned??

Old 03-27-2010, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by heartofmadnes@yahoo.com
Mabe I am retarded, but get it scanned??
You can get handheld scanners (diagnostic scanners that tell you what codes are throwing your SES light on) pretty much anywhere, or take it to a shop and they can tell you what codes you're getting.

What are the symptoms? What's it doing differently then it did before the SES light popped on?

BTW, Supra? don't see those too much anymore beautiful little car

Last edited by imalixZ28; 03-27-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:11 AM
Default Ahhh

Originally Posted by imalixZ28
You can get handheld scanners (diagnostic scanners that tell you what codes are throwing your SES light on) pretty much anywhere, or take it to a shop and they can tell you what codes you're getting.

What are the symptoms? What's it doing differently then it did before the SES light popped on?

BTW, Supra? don't see those too much anymore beautiful little car
Ok gottcha, duh I had a blonde moment It took a little longer to hold an idle, I figured since it sat all winter that was the reason. Now I think its just messing with me. I changed plugs, oil, cleaned the distrubutor, top off all fluids last night. Started it back up now the darn light is off, looks like a trip to the zone to grab a scanner. Thanks for the help, I joined the Supra forum as well this week, and folks hate on me when they see a pic of my camaro. Dont see why people do that, I love cars period.. Thats all I had to deal with growing up with my brothers.