LS Series Tech 1998-2002

HP for mods!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Default HP for mods!

Hi guys, I just recently joined the forums. Right now, I own an 05 V6 mustang that's a high 14sec car[:@]. I am parting out all my performance parts in that car and getting an LS1 Z28 by the end of April/early May. I know some stuff about performance but not much. I had headers, duals, gears, t-lok, aluminum driveshaft, cai, and a few more performance mods on the V6 stang do I know a little. After I get the car I will have $3.5k-$4k for mods. I am looking to get the most hp per dollar I can. I am not very handy with cars so the most I will be able to do is probably swapping intake manifold, possibly heads, and installing a cai. Can you guys name what gains I could see from these mods and what gains I could see from some mods together (ex: heads and cam):
-patriot or other brand P&P heads
-Cam
-intake manifold
-cai
-longtube headers
-mufflers
-throttle body
Thanks ahead for any help!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: HP for mods!

thats pretty easy

stock ur going to be about at 300rwhp
the "intake" which is actually jus an airbox lid, is supposed to get u 10 hp, but i dunno about that.
headers and full exhaust along with the lid will get u to 340-350rwhp, and thats dyno proven
a good cam will get u right to 400rwhp NA - also dyno proven
putting on a CNC PP set of heads will get u over 450rwhp NA, but there are alot of factors like ur compression, the head style u choose, ect...

Old 02-23-2008, 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

thats pretty easy

stock ur going to be about at 300rwhp
the "intake" which is actually jus an airbox lid, is supposed to get u 10 hp, but i dunno about that.
headers and full exhaust along with the lid will get u to 340-350rwhp, and thats dyno proven
a good cam will get u right to 400rwhp NA - also dyno proven
putting on a CNC PP set of heads will get u over 450rwhp NA, but there are alot of factors like ur compression, the head style u choose, ect...
Are you adding?
So:
Heads +50rwhp or more
Cam +50rwhp
lid/cai +5-10rwhp
LT Headers w/mufflers-30-40rwhp
Are these #'s correct?

Old 02-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Ninja Administrator

u really have to add them. u cannot just add a cam to the car and expect 50rwhp. but adding a cam to a car that has full boltons will (depending on the cam).

the longtube headers with a 3" offroad exhaust should net u 30rwhp. the stock manifolds are really dinky. Heads can give u another 30-50 depending on how well the porting was done, the final compression ratio, and valves used. but again, this wont happen unless the car is already breathing healthy everywhere else.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

It does depend on your heads and cam. I have seen LS1s put down over 500 RWHP with full bolt ons and heads/cam. They dont need superchargers

Old 02-23-2008, 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: TheStig

It does depend on your heads and cam. I have seen LS1s put down over 500 RWHP with full bolt ons and heads/cam. They dont need superchargers
What pair would you suggest for headsand cam?what would labor run for it? Thanks for the info, fellow mustang forums member

Old 02-23-2008, 03:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LS1Beast

What pair would you suggest for headsand cam?what would labor run for it? Thanks for the info, fellow mustang forums member
lol hi, what is your name on MF?

You have to pick your cam depending on how you have your car set up. For more info read this: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327734

Old 02-23-2008, 03:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

lol, nevermind. I just saw your thread in S/S. Welcome to the dark side[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 02-23-2008, 04:02 PM

lol, nevermind. I just saw your thread in S/S. Welcome to the dark side[sm=badbadbad.gif]
The Dark Side, lol. I hear the LS1's are built great for reliability. So, should I worry about people beating on them bad previously? I know I am not going to buy one w/more than 45k miles on it. What's the average mileage these engines need rebuilds at? 80k miles/90k miles/100k miles? Wantto make sure if I buyone theengine won't need a rebuild for a good amount of time. Thanks for the help on the heads and cam stuff[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 02-23-2008, 04:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LS1Beast

The Dark Side, lol. I hear the LS1's are built great for reliability. So, should I worry about people beating on them bad previously? I know I am not going to buy one w/more than 45k miles on it. What's the average mileage these engines need rebuilds at? 80k miles/90k miles/100k miles? Wantto make sure if I buyone theengine won't need a rebuild for a good amount of time. Thanks for the help on the heads and cam stuff[sm=smiley20.gif]
lol, as long as the engine was used reasonably and wasent a race car or anything It could last 150L easily. It all depends on how the engine is taken care of. Usually those who race their cars also take care of them and those cars can last much longer than people who just drive their car around everyday and dont really do regular matence.

Just make sure you check out the engine and make sure its running properly. BTW, somthing I looked over when I bought my car was the radiator was full of rust and turned my coolent into a nasty brown slob. Its not exspensive for a new radiator, but just make sure you check stuff like that.

Quick Reply: HP for mods!