LS Series Tech 1998-2002

HOW COME NOONE DRIFTS!????????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: HOW COME NOONE DRIFTS!????????????

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Drifting is the automotive equivlant of figure skating. It's not racing if they juge you for style. Racing is about being the fastest around or down a track. I will say that drifting does take skill, but it's still not racing.
i agree drifting isnt really racing. its about how good u are. i mean no offense i know drag racing isnt easy but with a little practice anyone can do it. drifting ont he other hand is probably on of the hardest things to do with a car. and for what z28pete said about it being a slow way around a corner thats incorrect. drifting was invented in japan by kiechi suchiya (not the correct spelling) he was a track racer who would kick the rear end out around corners because it WAS faster he got the name drift king because he did it for a whole lap. thats where drifitng began. i agree that in some situations grip is better but dont say drifting is slower all the time. and btw in drifting its not about who gets around the corner first.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:53 PM
May 2007 ROTM

I do beleive Dale Earnhardt and the king were drifting their cars in the 70's for a few hundred laps.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:25 PM
2nd Gear member

I mostly dont like it because its a ricer sport.. and besides, how often do you see a car on its rear wheels in drifting? never..

Old 04-10-2007, 07:46 PM
4th Gear Member

Drifting is more show that go...

I'd have to disagree w/ it being faster to drift a course than drive (yes, depends on the course and other factors) but it would be faster to have a car w/ some suspension work...

btw I believe American owns the drifting circuit or whatever...lots of GTO's, Vette's, Stangs, and prob soon to be Camaro's...

Old 04-10-2007, 09:46 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmx4884

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Drifting is the automotive equivlant of figure skating. It's not racing if they juge you for style. Racing is about being the fastest around or down a track. I will say that drifting does take skill, but it's still not racing.
i agree drifting isnt really racing. its about how good u are. i mean no offense i know drag racing isnt easy but with a little practice anyone can do it. drifting ont he other hand is probably on of the hardest things to do with a car. and for what z28pete said about it being a slow way around a corner thats incorrect. drifting was invented in japan by kiechi suchiya (not the correct spelling) he was a track racer who would kick the rear end out around corners because it WAS faster he got the name drift king because he did it for a whole lap. thats where drifitng began. i agree that in some situations grip is better but dont say drifting is slower all the time. and btw in drifting its not about who gets around the corner first.
Try drining a 9 second while cutting a good light on a .400 Pro Tree and get back to me on that one. If kicking the read out was fasdter around corners all the F1 and SCCA guys (along with all the road racers) would be doing it. Don't get me wrong I did say it takes skill but it is just not for many of us more tradional guys.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

drift is fun with a beater car, but not a camaro.
I think it is deffinatly a ricer sport especially after that dumb *** f&f 3.
i dont see how i could drift in my z, seeing over the hood is pretty hard already and im not short either. meybe in my saturn i could see that being easier
i didnt know that domestics are winning in the drifting worlds score board, but then again it dont suprise me because imports are super gay.
when somone buys a camaro the first sport racing that would pop in there head is draging cause thats pretty much what they are the best at.
if you plan on being a drifter! then i wouldnt go with a camaro go with somthing else. and i dont see how drifting around a corner would be faster than performing a controlled turn. with a controlled turn you have traction to take off again rather than sliding everywhere.
just the thought of some dumbass "drifting" around a turn pisses me off cause u know they are thinking that they are the best street racer.[:@]
thats my $0.2- and im not mad at anyone this is just my oppinion on the subject

Old 04-12-2007, 12:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I think driftings fun. Ive wanted to build a camaro that would handle drifting. If you like the car and you like to drive and like to be out of controle sometimes and like taking a chance then its all good with me. I know more traditional guys are not really into it. Thats cool and I respect all them.
I just figure they have made some fast *** ricers for drag racing. They have tried braking through Drag racing. Might as well beat them at their own game and then some. I would luv to drift. I just want to drag also. Dont see any 4th gen camaros drifting. It would be nice to see one wupping ***. But Id rather drag than drift when it comes down to having to choose one or the other. Drifting is an expensive sport also. Hope no one thinks I starting a fight. Just my few pennies also. LoL

Old 04-12-2007, 07:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: javione

I think driftings fun. Ive wanted to build a camaro that would handle drifting. If you like the car and you like to drive and like to be out of controle sometimes and like taking a chance then its all good with me. I know more traditional guys are not really into it. Thats cool and I respect all them.
I just figure they have made some fast *** ricers for drag racing. They have tried braking through Drag racing. Might as well beat them at their own game and then some. I would luv to drift. I just want to drag also. Dont see any 4th gen camaros drifting. It would be nice to see one wupping ***. But Id rather drag than drift when it comes down to having to choose one or the other. Drifting is an expensive sport also. Hope no one thinks I starting a fight. Just my few pennies also. LoL
i agree. and the whole thing about o ill drift my saturn no u wont. its fwd. thats not drifting. just cuz u cant do it doesnt mean u have to bash the sport. how many people in here have ever actually done it ON PURPOSE and u dont mean o i got loose comin out of a parking lot i mean how many people have kicked there car sideways in a corner goin like 40 and didnt like it?

O and i when i meant it was faster i mean in certain situations like in a hairpin turn for example.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:41 PM
1st Gear Member

The only reason it would be faster to drift even if it was a hairpin is if your car was set up poorly. Maybe with older cars that did not grip as well it was faster but a properly set up car should corner faster, regardless of the turn, without sliding. Drifting MIGHT get you through the corner itself faster but you will lose in the long run when you try getting out of the corner.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Not really. U can make a hair pin turn quicker by drifting rather than slowing and hoping u will stick a hair pin turn at 60 mph. ur going to slow a lil eaither way but atleast when u drift a hair pin turn u stil have the throttle going and a goo set up will grip right away.