LS Series Tech 1998-2002

"Heavy Rust in Coolant"

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:13 PM
2nd Gear member
Default "Heavy Rust in Coolant"

So went and got my oil changed today (I'm not doing it myself on any car I can't get under without a jack personally). The guys said I had pretty bad coolant, asked me when I last got it changed, and of course I have no idea as I didn't buy it too long ago. Yeah yeah, stupid me, never bothered to check. Anyways, the sheet says heavy rust in coolant. I know it is possibly to do a flush and all, but how can I actually make sure it is cleaned out? I wouldn't mind doing it myself, but if taking it somewhere would be easier I'm for that too.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

there shouldnt be any rust in the coolant you have an aluminum rad and the entire engine is aluminum (i may be wrong but the only steel in the cooling system is the impeller for the water pump)... anyways i pull the rad and run the hose through it for about 15 min then i pull the stat and re install the the housing and flow water through the upper hose and let it flow out the lower for 15 min then use the prestone flush going by the directions

Old 07-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Tech Droid

I think your repair shop friends are pulling your chain. As Basic said, the entire cooling system is either aluminum or plastic, aluminum may corrode and plastic crack, but they won't cause rust. You should change the coolant at least every two years, just to keep the corrosion from happening. The other thing, you mentioned not going under the car because you have no jack; never go under a car with just a jack holding it up, unless you are strong enough to do a bench press with the car after it drops on you.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Are you sure they weren't looking at some of that brown sludgy stop leak gunk that a previous owner could have put in the cooling system to mask a leak?

Old 07-21-2011, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Are you sure they weren't looking at some of that brown sludgy stop leak gunk that a previous owner could have put in the cooling system to mask a leak?
The coolant looked normal, but possibly. The dipstick was a bit sludgy.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i think they were trying to pull you for some extra cash

Old 07-21-2011, 09:19 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
i think they were trying to pull you for some extra cash
Well it was at Citgo...they even said all they can do is flush it, but it needs a cleaning.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Did they use that Dexcrap like they did in the 96? I could see where someone might call that color rust. If it is original coolant you have some sludge sitting at the bottom of the radiator.

Even flushing is not going to clean it 100%. Even with the radiator upside down and the water flow reversed it did not want to come out of my 96. In the worst cases I have seen radiator shops give up and just recommend replacement. If it is not overheating now then the flushing it is a good way to go but just keep in mind if you even have the radiator out plan on spending some time cleaning it out