LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Good deal? and what do these mods do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Good deal? and what do these mods do?

I found this for sale locally, he wants $9,900.
1999 Camaro Z28, t-top, auto, 80k miles, cloth, recently built ls1 -- GM hot cam, polished alum. Lingenfelter intake, ported & polished heads and throttle body, 1.7:1 roller rockers, 7.425 pushrods, PRC dual valve springs, Manley xh-426 valves, 42# injectors, Racetronix fuel pump, Kooks headers, SLP airbox, SLP 170 thermostat, SLP belt tensioner, 3" ehaust with Borla muffler, 2" Eibach lowering springs, 3" SS bolt on hood, 3.73 gears, tubular controll arms and panhard bar, strut brace, new O2 sensors, Corvette polished wheels with almost new drag radials in the rear and performance tires in front. Runs and drives great, no check engine light, very fast -- 450 rwhp and 20+ mpg. Interior and paint like new -- must see and drive. Over $10,000 in extras.

What do the "tubular controll arms and panhard bar" do? Do all these mods seem good for a street car?
Let me know what you think.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Good deal? and what do these mods do?-camaro-craigslist.jpg  
Old 02-16-2011, 10:13 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes its streetable. the new lower control arms stabilize the rearend better than stock, if adjustable the panhard bar allows the rearend to be centered after lowering. look close at the car, with these mods the owner has most likely run it hard.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:17 AM
3rd Gear Member

The price seems fair, but like Craby said, this car seems to be driven hard. I prefer to buy any car unmolested.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Droid

I agree with Buffalo. Stay away from modified cars, most likely they got pushed pretty hard, and you never know what you are going to wind up with.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 PM
1st Gear Member

7K for an LS1 with 80K miles is a great deal...all those mods would make me want to pay LESS for it not more http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/chevrol...&mileage=80000

Old 02-16-2011, 06:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by rmoncur
7K for an LS1 with 80K miles is a great deal...all those mods would make me want to pay LESS for it not more http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/chevrol...&mileage=80000
Yeah I just checked that out, he is asking $9,900 so thats around $2,600 over book, so I would definitely not give him his asking price. He said that it is in excellent condition, and it looks clean, but has repainted. Do the mods listed sound safe for a daily driver(summer only), and does 450 RWHP sound realistic? because that would be around 500+ at the crank?

Here are some more pics:
Thanks for the opinions, Let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails Good deal? and what do these mods do?-car-8.jpg   Good deal? and what do these mods do?-car-9.jpg   Good deal? and what do these mods do?-car-2.jpg   Good deal? and what do these mods do?-car-1.jpg   Good deal? and what do these mods do?-car-6.jpg  

Old 02-16-2011, 09:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if your serious take it to a shop and have them lift it up so you can look it over from there. if its as nice under there as it is topside and the rearend and trany are tight, it may very well be worth 9900. i would not offer that of it though. gotta figure theres some wiggle room there. yes a ls1 can get to 450 hp but without a dino i would say 425 from that setup.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

no offense but i feel someone with the lack of knowledge or confidence in the subject should find something less, for instance a stock ls1? save some money, more reliable, learn as you go... jus my .02 cents , your not really sure what your doing here and ive seen one too many times people buy cars like this, one thing goes wrong and its expensive because of all the mods, and they just turn around and sell the car,,,, buy one stock, build it, love it

Last edited by DarkKnight; 02-16-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by DarkKnight
no offense but i feel someone with the lack of knowledge or confidence in the subject should find something less, for instance a stock ls1? save some money, more reliable, learn as you go... jus my .02 cents , your not really sure what your doing here and ive seen one too many times people buy cars like this, one thing goes wrong and its expensive because of all the mods, and they just turn around and sell the car,,,, buy one stock, build it, love it
No offense taken.
I don't know much about the internal mods (like what is the need for different valves and springs), but I did have a 2000 camaro(that I sold, and want another one now) that I did the free ram air, smooth bellows, and exhaust ect, so I do know the basics. If I bought a stock Z28/SS I would pretty much quit at intake and exhaust, for the lack of know how/confidence to change cams, heads, ect and the cost. But I figured that if this was a reliable combo, built by someone that knows what they are doing, tuned by a reputable shop, and if i could get it to a decent price it would be worth it. The only thing I am worried about with this heavily modified of a engine is reliability and drivability. I have been to camaro/TA meets where we couldn't leave because someone had to change plugs due to the temp, and I wouldn't want anything like that. I just want something that looks and sounds good, and would last for a while..?
Thanks for the help

Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

If done right it should be perfectly reliable and streetable, the problem is when one little thing goes wrong and its that kind of thing you can't handle one your own and also happens to be something the shops charge was to many hours of labor for, then you get discourage and sell again, where with a stock car and a few mods, its alittle easier to handle

Quick Reply: Good deal? and what do these mods do?