LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Front Turn Signals/Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Default Front Turn Signals/Daytime Running Lights

So the classic symptom everyone posts: Front bulbs light when parking lights are turned on or car is locked/unlocked, but not for turn signals, hazards or daytime running lights. Rear lights all work fine. Dash turn indicators work fine (no daytime unning indicator though, is there supposed to be?). Both flashers flash at the normal rate.

So I know the daytime running light module has a lot to do with this, which is why it's sitting right in front of me. All the relays have the right voltages to the right terminals, but flipping closed manually has no effect. I tried to diagnose with hazards on and engine off to remove daytime running lights from the equation... I see the flasher signal come in to the normally closed side of a tiny relay, and go through the common side. (inputs on pins G and E of large conector, outputs on B and D of same). These pins flash for turn signals as well (one at a time of course).

There are flashing voltage signals sent to the microcontroller that seem to be ignored, but if the flasher voltage leaves the module, where does it go? I'm guessing the microcontroller is supposed to close some other relay somewhere to flip the lights from the control by headlight switch to control by the DTRL module, and that this isn't happening. Anyone know where such a relay is located? Any other thoughts on why a flashing voltage leaves my DTRL module but never makes it to the lights?

Last edited by nitrojunkie; 12-08-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Default Solution!!! For anyone interested...

So I'm retarded. The turn signal/Parking light/Daytime running light assembly DOES have 2 bulbs. The little one you can see is just for the parking lights. There is a 3057 socket that mounts on the TOP of the light assembly. You can't see it from the panel underneath because it's on the top of the light, and it's hidden inside one of the curves of the bumper so you can't see it from the top either, but if you feel around the top of the light assembly towards the center of it, you'll find the socket. You have to press a little plastic tab in to twist and remove it.

Why the parking lights require a seperate bulb, instead of using the low filament on the 3057 is another mystery altogether. For that matter, why would they put the parking lights on the outside corners, and the turn indicators (which are much more crucial to have viewable from all angles) set in more towards the center of the car? And why the hell doesn't the flash rate change when the front bulbs fail?

In short, nothing about the front lighting system is intuitive, but there are 2 bulbs per side. A failed bulb WILL NOT make your signals flash faster. To all who think they need a DTRL module that costs a few hundred bucks, I'd call this good news.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by nitrojunkie
Anyone know where such a relay is located?
if you want to find where is your relay located, review the diagrams printed on the covers of the two relay centers and fuse. it is one of two large blocks at the bottom of the center.