LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Fixing My Window?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Cool Fixing My Window?!?!

So ive got an 01 ss and recently my driver side window has started going up slower and half way up it seems like it hits a bump or something so ie stopped using it completely for now. I wanted to try to fix it with my dad. He knows a lot about cars but is not een close to being a mechanic. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what it could be? And if its even possible for two somewhat inexperienced guys to fix a window?

Old 03-12-2009, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

hey jb, the widow issue seems to be fairly common (I'm going to have to do mine pretty soon) it is the window motor. its really not too complicated and the parts are not that expensive. there is a link on here (I think it might be a sticky) that shows step by step everything you need to do... I'll look for it and repost it in here.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:08 AM
4th Gear Member

yup, it's in the 4th gen section. be sure the new motor you get has all the holes to match the original. Some aftermarket motors ( the one carried by NAPA) require you to use a new bracket so that means more disassembly.

I returned the NAPA unit and bought from Advance Auto parts and it fit right in.

Patience is the key

Old 03-12-2009, 05:38 PM

Ok thanks a lot guys

Old 03-31-2009, 02:14 AM
Wink Be careful!

Be careful if you try to replace it yourself... My window is going to cost me a buttload of money to fix! My warranty will cover the motor/regulator, but the person who owned it right before me (there were only 2 previous owners) tried to fix his window himself and the bars that hold the bracket were not aligned and welded properly so now no one will touch the motor to replace it without the body work done first. Apparantely my motor has been replaced before several times due to this issue.... Have a professional touch it or you may pay a lot more than you saved doing it yourself.. if you misalign anything (bracket, motor, etc.) by even a mm it can throw off the motor... For now my TTops are off and the window is still up! Savin up the money to get it fixed, (I'm a college kid and SUPER bummed!) Good luck to you and your window!

Old 03-31-2009, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

it sounds like the car mighta been wrecked or something. the replacement should be pretty simple and not require any welding or aligning and of the door parts. just pull the motor out and put the new one in the same way the old one was in there. the hard part to this is getting to it and if you know where all the screws are its not too bad.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by niteman
it sounds like the car mighta been wrecked or something. the replacement should be pretty simple and not require any welding or aligning and of the door parts. just pull the motor out and put the new one in the same way the old one was in there. the hard part to this is getting to it and if you know where all the screws are its not too bad.
And replacing the actual motor itself (if it hasn't been done before) will require drilling out some rivets and replacing those with screws when you're done.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Default Window

Actually the car has never been wrecked before. There is no body damage or body damage repairs on the car. Only three owners including myself and I have carfax report... Like I said the reason that it is messed up is because the person who tried to work on the door before had no clue. My best guess is that they were trying to fix something in the door panel that wasn't the motor, and accidentally screwed up the motor. Who knows. All I know is it was never in an accident. If I replace the motor it will still be misaligned and will go out again. Ughh.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 AM
4th Gear Member

Window motorrrrrrrr!

Take off door panel, take out motor, put new motor in, voila!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:38 PM

I had to replace the motor and bracket, it cost me overall about 100 bucks to do everything. Much cheaper then taking it anywhere, it took me a whole day but only because the store ordered the wrong side. The only thing i messed up was i screwed a screw to tight and broke the plastic so now i just have a random hole that i need to fix. Overall easy to do really anyone can do it with some instructions.

Quick Reply: Fixing My Window?!?!