LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Door lock problem! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Spray all the moving parts (rod ends, pivot points, latches, levers, locks) with PB Blaster. Your problem may be something as simple as gummed up or dry mechanisms.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Overdrive Member

My Z28 has the exact same issue. I have traced mine down to the BCM. I cant tell if it is software or the actual hardware. I dont feel like paying $100 for my local GM dealer to reload my BCM software just to find out I need to spend $300 for a new BCM.

Massey

Old 02-15-2011, 01:10 AM
2nd Gear member

Thanks for the input Camaro 69 but I don't think the problem is that it is gummed up because it doesn't make any noise at all on the drivers side. The passenger makes noise and works fine. I think it's either something electrical(Like Masseys problem) in the wiring or BCM, or the electronic part of the lock itself is completely toast.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Overdrive Member

With my car the driver's door will unlock with the remote and buttons in the car but not lock via either. I traced all the wiring, bought a new door latch (was not the issue) and eventually took the BCM out of Sarah and put it in Diamond. Once I did this the door locks worked fine! With the buttons on the door and the key fobs. (sarah's key fobs) Just to double check stuff I put Diamonds BCM in Sarah and got the same results, no locky locky on the driver's door. Now I know what is wrong with the car it is the BCM but what part of the BCM is it? Software or hardware?

Massey

Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Drag BCM is SPENDY...maybe try that reflow trick like with the stereo and power windows issues? Suppose it would be worth a shot...if no then dig in, cry a bit, and then buy a new BCM....heet it when stuff no worky on my cars

Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by rmoncur
Drag BCM is SPENDY...maybe try that reflow trick like with the stereo and power windows issues? Suppose it would be worth a shot...if no then dig in, cry a bit, and then buy a new BCM....heet it when stuff no worky on my cars

Trust me I tried. I am the one that created the BCM repair post. I reflowed every relay on the back of that and even reflowed the pins for the door lock wiring on the plug side. If it is hardware I would need the schematics and logic diagram to find the offending chips. I doubt that GM is going to supply me with them.

Massey

Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 PM
2nd Gear member

I checked the connection plugs today. Passenger side door lock plug connection is receiving 12 volts from the wire harness to the plug. Drivers side is receiving zero volts. So it is somewhere either a broken connection in the harness or problem in the BCM. Are there any fuses for the door locks? I couldn't find any on my own or with the owners manual.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Massey
Trust me I tried. I am the one that created the BCM repair post. I reflowed every relay on the back of that and even reflowed the pins for the door lock wiring on the plug side. If it is hardware I would need the schematics and logic diagram to find the offending chips. I doubt that GM is going to supply me with them.

Massey
ouchie I have bought other sensors from these guys before...being in the car parts biz you prolly know more about it then me but they are the cheapest I have found.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:54 AM
Default just my humble 2 cents

Originally Posted by Massey
With my car the driver's door will unlock with the remote and buttons in the car but not lock via either. I traced all the wiring, bought a new door latch (was not the issue) and eventually took the BCM out of Sarah and put it in Diamond. Once I did this the door locks worked fine! With the buttons on the door and the key fobs. (sarah's key fobs) Just to double check stuff I put Diamonds BCM in Sarah and got the same results, no locky locky on the driver's door. Now I know what is wrong with the car it is the BCM but what part of the BCM is it? Software or hardware?

Massey
Please excuse the question, but I keep thinking about it...

If the BCM from Sarah's works in Diamonds car and the bcm from Diamond also works in diamonds car (assuming you use the corresponding fob) AND the BCM from Diamond's care does not work in Sarah's car then its sounds like there is a problem other than Sarah's BCM. If Sarah's has a bad BCM then would it not work in Diamond's car?