LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Best exhaust tone? Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Overdrive Member

If you really want true duals, shops are fabing them:
http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000032

Originally Posted by kuyayan
Thats what i want to do maudy...go true duals or an x pipe. Only thing is the exhaust shops around here said that wouldnt be possible since they weren't "built" to use true duals since no clearance. i say b.s. you can do anything if you know how to fabricate well. I might just run some pipe from the cats to the back and put some slp or some resonator before axles. Im leaning toward doing it myself with a buddy... dont like the idea of paying someone else for something i can do myself ow and i have about $500-$700 to play with.

You got any pics of your exhaust maudy?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Overdrive Member

Sorry to burst your bubble, but THAT is not an X-Pipe. These are:

http://www.speedinc.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Exhaust

Originally Posted by maudyZ28
yeah there not the best ones (before we put the mufflers on)

basically if you still have cats i would go with 2.5 inch pipe, get some bends bought a bout 5-6 90 degree ones ( I got 3x 180 deg bends and chopped them up and just had enough to get out the back)

I had to crush the pipe in a few places and dent under one of the rear seats a little but ran both pipes like a shotgun barrel down the side of the torque arm. The x-pipe was just after the trans/prop uj joint. Went straight under the axle and put bends in to get the pipes in the gaps under the rear which is where i put my mufflers (similar to slp loudmouth ones or bullets etc)

if you do it youself take you time, it too us a week or so to take all old stuff off and put headers on and fab up the exhaust doing a few hours a night. My car is lowered too hence under axle was better, only scrapes a bit in middle but have 3 inch pipe and headers are pretty low

Old 06-27-2010, 03:51 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

if they open into each other then yes it is an x pipe...

Old 06-28-2010, 12:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

i know what you are saying liberty but there IS NO WAY your gonna get a twin 3 inch system under the car with a 'conventinal' x-pipe. Unless it hangs down or is dumped, if this was my car it would ground out

Name:  undercartorq.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  51.2 KB

As long as there is a cross over in to promote scavanging then its fine, there is a 3x1.5 inch opening inside my X pipe. X just means 'cross over' anyway, each design will prob vary the sound a little but idk?

I did plenty of research first anyhow and got these from chevy hyperformance and some custom exhaust builders in the US:

Name:  zorts2.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  zorst3.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  127.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5306.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  91.2 KB

Name:  exh3.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  101.8 KB

so those are the x-pipes styles we used.

I cant even get a tunnel brace on cause it ground out when i went to the track so i too it off

Last edited by maudyZ28; 06-28-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Overdrive Member

If it does, that looks like a pretty poor implementation, based on that original picture.

Originally Posted by DarkKnight
if they open into each other then yes it is an x pipe...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-28-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Overdrive Member

There is a will, there is a way, but twin 3 in. duals would be overkill in an LS1, unless you had some serious mods -- the system linked goes to 2.5 in. over the axle...

i know what you are saying liberty but there IS NO WAY your gonna get a twin 3 inch system under the car with a 'conventinal' x-pipe. Unless it hangs down or is dumped, if this was my car it would ground out

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-28-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
There is a will, there is a way, but twin 3 in. duals would be overkill in an LS1, unless you had some serious mods -- the system linked goes to 2.5 in. over the axle...
well 3" over axle on a lowered car is not gonna happen without messing about loads,

so what if 3" is over kill for my mods, it make more power and torque than stock and gets into 12s (just, 13 dead all day, previous was 13.4) so i'd say for the money and the hard work my dad and I put in its well worth it, and it sounds awesome.

Anyway, i still cant figure wat your saying is wrong with my X. Its a cross over, the flows are connected, its 2 90 deg bends back to back, if you tilt your head to the right you'll see it is an X, just that the pipes after dont split away and they need to run shotgun under the car.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Overdrive Member

HERE are your hints why you may want to reconsider:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...rformance.html

and

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...al-system.html

As for that first X pic, it looked much different than the others posted later, like a different unit.

well 3" over axle on a lowered car is not gonna happen without messing about loads,

so what if 3" is over kill for my mods, it make more power and torque than stock and gets into 12s (just, 13 dead all day, previous was 13.4) so i'd say for the money and the hard work my dad and I put in its well worth it, and it sounds awesome.

Anyway, i still cant figure wat your saying is wrong with my X. Its a cross over, the flows are connected, its 2 90 deg bends back to back, if you tilt your head to the right you'll see it is an X, just that the pipes after dont split away and they need to run shotgun under the car.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

ok, read them. one about Y pipes? the other about using plates. Both nothing to do with an X pipe. The first pic is the one we made, didnt want too much overlap to restrict the flow, anyway it on the car and isnt coming off

If you going on about the fact I run 3" system and its over kill, then your correct it is way too big now, butl im not doing it twice, once with 2.5 then 3 just to optimize it for hp and output stock vs. when im gonna cam and heads later. I graduated with a first class in physics at university and working researcher now and calculated what I wanted the flow to be in advance with my head cam setup, which a twin 2.5 wont give. One of the tuners who I speak with on EFIlive site ran 2.5s with his set up with 420 wheels and gained 35 rwhp after a switch to 3".

Either way its on the car now, sounds awesome and im happy its faster and runs well, plus i still havent done a propper WB tune yet so more gain to come

Old 06-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Overdrive Member

I thought you said you read, the one was about more flow vs less (plates), other is Y vs. X.

There is a reason you are not seeing many 3 in. true duals in 5th Gens...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-29-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Best exhaust tone? Any Ideas?