LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Best exhaust tone? Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Default Best exhaust tone? Any Ideas?

Whats up guys. Been driving around town lately and cant really find an exhaust shop were they don't "crush" metal piping or have the exhaust system I want. (All have flowmasters...thats it. Heard cfm rate are comparable to stock!)

Im looking for an exhaust that will have that deep V8 rumble with less rasp but more refine and have a high rate of cfm. I had cherry bombs in my previous camaro. Sounded great but would *pop* alot (might also been because it's a 3.4 lol) Any ideas or pics?

Current car is 2000 M6 z28. All stock...for now

Old 06-26-2010, 12:52 AM

borla's are the way to go imho.. but slp also has some very good pipes.. just my .02

Old 06-26-2010, 01:14 AM

SLP Loudmouth I if you like the loud deep raspy and mean sound

Old 06-26-2010, 01:20 AM

^agreed bc I have a borla catback and its lous as hell and deep but borla's can also be expensive.. I paid 900 for the pipes and install =/

Old 06-26-2010, 04:08 AM
3rd Gear Member

how much you got to spend??

my headers cost me $300 then bought some pipe and bends and had a true dual system under the axle fabricated (by me and my dad) im sure you would be able to get a shop to do it for cheap enough, but you would need to buy some drawn mandrel bends not the crush type as you say. Prob work out same or cheaper than borla one

You can even go true duals from the stock headers and cat if you wanted, will still be better than stock. I just went under axle still plenty of room really

Old 06-26-2010, 10:16 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i am very happy with corsa,,, but then ive only had stock before. not to loud at low rpms but man at wot its almost like open exhaust. everyone in town know it when i open her up. lol tokeland is only three miles long and sound carries alot when its quite out.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by maudyZ28
how much you got to spend??

my headers cost me $300 then bought some pipe and bends and had a true dual system under the axle fabricated (by me and my dad) im sure you would be able to get a shop to do it for cheap enough, but you would need to buy some drawn mandrel bends not the crush type as you say. Prob work out same or cheaper than borla one

You can even go true duals from the stock headers and cat if you wanted, will still be better than stock. I just went under axle still plenty of room really
Thats what i want to do maudy...go true duals or an x pipe. Only thing is the exhaust shops around here said that wouldnt be possible since they weren't "built" to use true duals since no clearance. i say b.s. you can do anything if you know how to fabricate well. I might just run some pipe from the cats to the back and put some slp or some resonator before axles. Im leaning toward doing it myself with a buddy... dont like the idea of paying someone else for something i can do myself ow and i have about $500-$700 to play with.

You got any pics of your exhaust maudy?

Old 06-26-2010, 03:33 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

Corsa!!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:51 AM
3rd Gear Member

yeah there not the best ones (before we put the mufflers on)

Name:  210520101665.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  156.9 KB

Name:  200520101664.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  200520101663.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  66.3 KB

basically if you still have cats i would go with 2.5 inch pipe, get some bends bought a bout 5-6 90 degree ones ( I got 3x 180 deg bends and chopped them up and just had enough to get out the back)

I had to crush the pipe in a few places and dent under one of the rear seats a little but ran both pipes like a shotgun barrel down the side of the torque arm. The x-pipe was just after the trans/prop uj joint. Went straight under the axle and put bends in to get the pipes in the gaps under the rear which is where i put my mufflers (similar to slp loudmouth ones or bullets etc)

if you do it youself take you time, it too us a week or so to take all old stuff off and put headers on and fab up the exhaust doing a few hours a night. My car is lowered too hence under axle was better, only scrapes a bit in middle but have 3 inch pipe and headers are pretty low

Old 06-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Overdrive Member

No way -- way too loud just driving normal neighborhood streets, IMHO. Great at WOT, however.

Originally Posted by breezyLS1
SLP Loudmouth I if you like the loud deep raspy and mean sound

Quick Reply: Best exhaust tone? Any Ideas?