LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Bad 02's??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 09:09 PM
Default Bad 02's??????

i have a 2001 SS Camaro and a problem with my 02 censors setting my engine light off?? I also have a hypertech programmer that i only use to program and then unprogram to turn that engine light back off...what the deal is is i bought some used o2s cheap from ebay and i thought they might have just been bad (i paid 25 bucks i thought just give it a shot because they were so cheap) the light still came back on....well i had to finally go buy the new o2s from auto zone...there were Bosch o.e. pretty good replacements i think....the light will stay off as long as i dont get on it hard but the first time i do a hard burn out or launch up to high rpms like 6000 that light comes on...and it seems to me that the car is just a step or two bogged down...that could just be me though....one of the first times the light came on i had it checked and the dealer ship said bank 1 censor 1 wasnt reading and bank two censor 1 was low vaultage, but at the time i didnt have the 370 bucks they were going to charge me so i had them do any warrenty work to it which was replacing the cats..which they did no cost to me.....i eventually replaced the correct censors. the two right before the cats right?? one on each side...? im still getting the same codes coming up at high rpm...is something besides bad 02s causing the light to come on... i dont use the hypertech to program the car anymore...and other modifications to it that i know of is K&n air filter...slp air intake lid..and a rebuilt transmission from Amaco transmissions(because they said it was flair shifting??with the transmission causing the light...the car is an automatic with no known major modifications to it...3.23 gears stock tires....

Old 12-24-2005, 10:49 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Bad 02's??????

First of all, you didn't say if and how you car is modded, but I get a sense that it might be ( . . .slp in your forum name).

Regardless, the COULD be something wrong with the engine and many modded cars run lean when you get on it, which is very very bad for things like piston tops. So I'd recommend having a shop with a dyno run it on the dyno once whil monitoring F/A ratio and make certain you aren't running lean.

Then, there are dummy O2 sensors you can buy that never give an incorrect reading to your computer. Theey are just a resistor that says "everything is dandy here, don't worry, computer!" to your PCM. these replace only the sensors down near the cats. A shope will know how to install them. You only want to run these if you KNOW that your engine is not running lean, and realize that you will never get some codes if problems do develop, so you have to check more often and be more aware. I run these dummies, and installed an exhaust gas pyrometer (temperature guage) to monitor exhaust (it if gets above about 1000-1100 deg it may be running two liean and I will get worried) But the dummy sensors sure cure the check engine lite codes problem you get from having a modded motor.