LS Series Tech 1998-2002

BackFiring and Chugging

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010 | 02:40 AM
|
Default BackFiring and Chugging

I have an 01 ss, and i just installed the lt bbk headers on it. It has stock cats and loudmouth catback. Every time i take off it, it backfires. When im in a higher gear it will chug, which is understandable, but it will chug when i first take off as well. I took it in to see what they could do, all they said was we can tune it up when you get intake, but mines stock ss. Is it worth it to buy like the SS cold air pack, or something like that? Or can i just keep my intake stock and get it tuned so it will run right.

Old 05-10-2010 | 03:34 AM
3rd Gear Member

do you mean when you come off the gas it pops or bangs?? and what do you mean by chug, just the noise?? Does the car run super lumpy? Im thinking it runs fine just that it bangs on overrun?

If it is the noise, unless im wrong its because of the free flowing headers, into stock restrictive cats and then the cat back. Essentially at given rpms there will be a build up of gas and such that will resonate and pop. It prob due to the cats backing up gasses. Even on my stock headers and cats but with a straight pipe after if i come down from like 2000 rpm and just touch the go pedal again it 'bangs' or pops.

If im wrong you might have to post a vid up. Im sure a tune would make the car run nice but dont think the sound would change a lot?

Old 05-10-2010 | 08:52 AM
1st Gear Member

check to be sure your plug wires are not too close to the headers makeing them leak voltage when at high cylinder pressures.
also you may have cracked one of the pocelines of the spark plugs when doing the contortionist movements needs to tighten the plugs with headers sometimes.
check for carbon cracking on the white poceline ,
even test the resistance of each of your plug wires to be sure one is not way more resistant than the rest! ohms per foot should be close.

Old 05-10-2010 | 09:03 AM
1st Gear Member

could be one of the coils or plugs to the coils lose or 1/2 clipped on

Old 05-10-2010 | 09:05 AM
1st Gear Member

the back fire is a result of bad timing of the spark ... no kidding ... the trick is to find if it is fire fuel or timing.
lot of that already ruled out with your new set-up with the coil on plug design

Old 05-10-2010 | 08:08 PM
|

For instance, in 5th gear doing 40-45, if floored, it will chug and backfire until it gets up enough speed and high rpms to not do so. It does not do it when I accelerate slow, only when im in a high gear and i floor it, or take off quick. My friend continued to bring up my cars "exhaling" way more than it is "Inhaling" that why it is doing so; thats why i need an upgraded cold air intake. Would one be that much better over stock?

Old 05-10-2010 | 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

who's your friend,
it's a good idea, but a high air flow intake will only help you at high flow not,
high load and low rpm like you decribed,
could be running too lean as well
and more air in will make you need even more gas.
do you have a progam box or superchip ?
some of the tuner boxes let you play with the timing and stuff to get rid of those kind of things

Old 05-11-2010 | 12:27 AM
|

How much difference will the intake make compared to the stock that i have at the moment? I dont have a chip in it. Also i dont know if this has anything to do with anything, but the exhaust smells really rich. I am really just wondering if its even worth it for this http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...47&BIG=21047-1 and if it will make a difference not only in hp, but in fixing my problems.

Old 05-11-2010 | 03:51 AM
3rd Gear Member

Dont bother with the flow pack, just get the LID and FILTER, and read this (my spelling is real bad for some reason

https://camaroforums.com/forum/engine-internal-23/ls1-cold-air-intake-41340/

It will give you some more ponies and breathing but dont know about sorting the problem. I know what you mean now by 'chugging'. I'd kinda describe it as 'bogging', like you floor it and there is no power there then it builds up and is fine at rpm.

I understand what your friend is saying that it is over scavenging the heads such that the LT remove the air too efficiently at low rpm such that the intake is so restricted that they wont fill again (before you may have had some exhaust gases left in to mix with air due to in-efficient stock manifold)

HOWEVER, i've not heard this problem before with the many people that do LTs. The car may run rich for a while too because the O2 sensors move places and it is common that they read a little different due to position and temperature.

ALSO.... i think 18436572 has a point, you should check plugs and leads too, you may have damaged one? It sound to me like this 'chugging' is like the car is 'missing' like not firing on one cylinder which would mess everything up and would run really rich and there is unburnt fuel being dumped in (you have cats so shouldn't be able to tell the difference LT make but you can smell fuel?) I know its a pain but check the plugs or replace them, before even getting the SLP lid. The general maintenance stuff should be spot on first, plugs, oil, oil filter, leads if needed etc then you know all is good

Old 05-11-2010 | 06:16 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

Get an SLP FlowPac -- you will feel the difference! ;-)

Originally Posted by jbcamaro
I have an 01 ss, and i just installed the lt bbk headers on it. It has stock cats and loudmouth catback. Every time i take off it, it backfires. When im in a higher gear it will chug, which is understandable, but it will chug when i first take off as well. I took it in to see what they could do, all they said was we can tune it up when you get intake, but mines stock ss. Is it worth it to buy like the SS cold air pack, or something like that? Or can i just keep my intake stock and get it tuned so it will run right.

Quick Reply: BackFiring and Chugging