LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Automatic or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Dominos Puck
New Formula! Now with 10% more Win!
Default RE: Automatic or Manual?

I have an auto, but wanted a stick. But when you're shopping for a used car, you can never get EXACTLY what you want. I thought my car was too good to pass up, even though it had an auto. So I went with it. I've learned to like it. I can just cruise and not think about what the transmission is doing. There are so many other great things about the car, that I can definitely live with the auto.

I voted for manuals though.
Pros:
-More of an intimate connection with your car. You feel it more.
-You don't have to worry about your pot head brother who can't even drive a go cart getting in the car and driving it off.
-You can easily push in the clutch when you're driving past chicks in a parking lot and go VROOOOMMMMM
-They feel more race car-ish
-Less complicated mechanically
-Your right hand and left foot don't get as bored

Cons
-I haven't driven a manual for an extended period of time, but I'd imagine it would get old after a while. And I do some urban stop-and-go driving on my daily commute.
-Harder to turn up loud music and still shift, since you can't hear the RPMs

Old 09-20-2007, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

some of the "Shifting" you may see at the track are actually auto-trans with a maunal valve body...

Old 09-27-2007, 10:46 AM

"stick impresses high school crowds, autos win races"

Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: Z2896

Thats the queerest quote ever.....my car is stick, and the vast majority of people who compliment me while I'm washing it, or at the store at work...etc... are people over 30. Plus show me an auto thats fast and I'll show you a stick that's faster...and vise versa. Oh and I win races too!

Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Damn server is double posting my stuff [:@]

Old 10-04-2007, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd prefer a manual.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Fancy Sparkle

i drive a manual daily, and it's not that bad. i wish my Camaro was a stick though, it would be so much easier to autocross race that way

Old 10-05-2007, 09:07 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zoilus

ORIGINAL: Z2896

Thats the queerest quote ever.....my car is stick, and the vast majority of people who compliment me while I'm washing it, or at the store at work...etc... are people over 30. Plus show me an auto thats fast and I'll show you a stick that's faster...and vise versa. Oh and I win races too!
Mod for mod, my car is faster with the auto. How do I know? Because it used to be a 6 speed. I changed it to an auto and went nearly .5 second quicker. The problem is that the 1st gear ratio in the fbody T56 is not as good for launching as the 1st gear in the 4L60E. Just out of curiosity, what does your car run in the 1/4?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

1st gear in a T-56 is fine for launching a car, just drop the clutch at 6000 rpm and it will leave fine =), keep in mind a T-56 has more 1st gear than many other manuals and more than a P/G, T350 and T400. A 3.06 1st gear sounds good but also has a very large rpm drop from 1st to 2nd.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Ninja Administrator

if i remember right the 1st gear in the t56 used in Fbodies is higher than in other cars. Dont wanna put more thought into this, but I think that means the overall drive ratio is lower. But then if you were to just put a steeper set of gears in you would end up with a good launching overall drive ratio and then the subsequent gears would be steep as hell giving u mega top end. So i dont know if I buy into the whole "1st gear" argument entirely, because its my understanding that the overall gear ratio between the crank and the rear wheels is what matters, and this can be altered with a new ring and pinion to whatever you want regardless of what the first gear is.

Quick Reply: Automatic or Manual?