LS Series Tech 1998-2002

AC Compressor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:12 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default AC Compressor Replacement

So my AC is failing and its come time to replace the AC compressor. A shop was going to charge me $700 for parts and labor to fix my AC, but I'm not paying that. I'm going to need some some tips on how to do this. A step-by-step how to would be nice. How tough of a job is this?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Tech Droid

Changing the compressor itself is no big deal. But when you disconnect the AC hoses all of the refrigerant is going to blow out, and most likely taking the lubricant with it. Depending on how the compressor failed there may be shrapnel left in the system which can come back and haunt you at a later time, unless it is cleaned out. After the parts are replaced, including the receiver/drier, the system evacuated with a pump to get all moisture out, and refilled with the right amount of refrigerant and lubricant, it will have to be tested for leaks.

Last edited by z28pete; 07-18-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:06 PM
4th Gear Member

it's been A/C summer for me as 3 of my vehicles all required parts to be replaced. My 3rd gen needed the full monty. What Pete said is correct. There are of course back yard methods but that would not be eco-friendly to discuss.

FWIW, I did the work on all 3 of the vehicles in my home's garage. Be sure to get a new orifice if you are doing it yourself and it takes 2 cans of R134A to fill the system. They are $9 at Wal Mart vs $20 per can at the parts store. if you need a new compressor, it may already come with pag oil or have a bottle with it. You do need to add some into the dryer (accumulator)

Old 07-18-2011, 07:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

Thank you guys for the responses. I'm going to drop the car off at this shop tomorrow to have them do it. The AC kit that I planned on purchasing was going to cost $400, but the shop is going to repair my AC for $600. I think that its a good deal and this shop also specializes in F-bodies, so they're very familiar with these cars.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

400s a good price for a compressor and what ever else you get the comp for my 3.4 was like 475 just for the compressor but 600 for an new r/r plus a warranty and a filled system thats pretty good

Old 07-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What failed on the compressor? Did it get loud or does it just leak? If the compressor ripped itself apart you have metal all through the system. Thats a pretty big job for a newb. You have to get all the metal out or you could wipe out the new compressor.

There is a chart in the GM manual that list all the add oils number. But with the compressor you are supost to drain the oil out of the old compressor and measure it. Then add that that amount to the new compressor. If you drain the system and there is less then 2 oz then you need to add a min of 2 oz. This assumes you slow drained the freon out and did not lose any oil.

Your going to need a vacuum pump and set of AC manifold gages. After you get all the mechainical fixed you and the oil replaced as needed

Pulling down the system
‪How to evacuate and "pull" vacuum on an R134a car AC system‬‏ - YouTube

Once the system is pulled down it is ready to be charges. There should be a AC tag in your engine compartment that list the amout of freon your system takes, You should replace the dryer/reciever and the filter. good luck.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-18-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure that the compressor ripped itself apart. There were was nothing leaking and when I turned the AC on, it was loud and blew some dust into the interior of the car.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

try it without the ac on that sounds more like a blower motor

Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

Haha, it does. It makes a lot of noise.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
I'm pretty sure that the compressor ripped itself apart. There were was nothing leaking and when I turned the AC on, it was loud and blew some dust into the interior of the car.
Well there is no way a compressor can have an effect on the inside of your car. For that to happen you would have to blow either your expansion valve or the evaporator. Does ther copressor turn anymore? Sounds like you might have a big project on your hands. Maybe not the best to try and learn on. Buying the above tools for one high risk repair does not make a lot of sense.

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Replacement