LS Series Tech 1998-2002

1999 Z28 Traction Control Prob!!??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:53 AM
2nd Gear member
Default 1999 Z28 Traction Control Prob!!??

Ok, I hate TC(or ASR in this predicament)! It's really annoying having to turn it off everytime I get in the car! I noticed on my Z28 that the throttle cable goes from the pedal, into a lil box, then comes back out and then hooks to the Throttle Body! On my friends(Blue_Thunder01) 2001 SS it just goes straight from the pedal to the TB. My question is... If I got a Throttle Cable for a 01 SS and just completely bypassed the lil box and just went from the pedal to the TB(And removed the lil box) would that hurt anything in my computer or BCM or anything???
Thanks!

Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Or if you still want to keep traction control, get one of these which reverses the action to have it off until you want it on. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLE-63015/

Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 AM
2nd Gear member

I would rather spend 15bucks on a throttle cable than spend 80 bucks a few pieces of wire and a lil plastic box! If I had the money I would have already bought that! Thanks for the input though

Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 AM
2nd Gear member

Is there anyone here that has had this idea/problem before?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Overdrive Member

Get a factory service manual for your car, and learn a little more about the car...

Or, instead of doing a hack job, when you haven't done the research yet -- just buy the SLP module...

Old 07-26-2010, 10:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Get a factory service manual for your car, and learn a little more about the car...

Or, instead of doing a hack job, when you haven't done the research yet -- just buy the SLP module...
Ok, thanks. I don't have the manual so I'll have to find one. Don't really want to spend that much on a lil box lol! I know that it will bypass the TC but I'm wondering if it will mess with my electronics or anything at all!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Overdrive Member

Yes it will mess with things. You will lose your cruise control and there could be other issues as well depending on the design of the system. My wife has ASR in her 2000 Z and my friend does not in his 2000 Z both cars are very similar in the engine but his wiring harness is different, and his cruise module is located behind the front bumper on the driver's side. With cars like these that are built with systems that are so integrated into the functionality of the car as a whole I would not recomend removing the system. I would say get the little box and save yourself alot of future troubles. You are spending money not for what it is but for what it does.

I know that the ASR system is integrated into the ABS system and it also gets signals from the trans to determine if your car is losing traction. I just dont know if the ABS system uses any of the throttle inputs the ASR knows to effect it's function. Me careful you may lose a system you really need.

Massey

Old 07-27-2010, 12:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah plus in the PCM the car detect the spinning wheel and pulls the engine timing by about 7 degrees (well my 99 does), so bypassing the cable would only be half the problem, you'd still have to manually turn it off. I dont ever have mine on and its just habit now like belting up, just turn ASR off

Old 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Massey
Yes it will mess with things. You will lose your cruise control and there could be other issues as well depending on the design of the system. My wife has ASR in her 2000 Z and my friend does not in his 2000 Z both cars are very similar in the engine but his wiring harness is different, and his cruise module is located behind the front bumper on the driver's side. With cars like these that are built with systems that are so integrated into the functionality of the car as a whole I would not recomend removing the system. I would say get the little box and save yourself alot of future troubles. You are spending money not for what it is but for what it does.

I know that the ASR system is integrated into the ABS system and it also gets signals from the trans to determine if your car is losing traction. I just dont know if the ABS system uses any of the throttle inputs the ASR knows to effect it's function. Me careful you may lose a system you really need.

Massey
Thanks Massey! That's exactly what I needed to know! I needed to know if it was more complex than just that little box and now I know! Thank you! You are awesome! Lol!

Old 07-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you were to hold the ASR switch down as you start the engine, it should turn your ASR off, whether you let go of the switch after the engine starts or not. So if you want to do it a real cheap way and save 72 bucks, tape the switch down, velcro it, wedge it with a toothpick, stick it down with chewing gum, whatever.

Quick Reply: 1999 Z28 Traction Control Prob!!??