Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

WHY EVERY V6 WITH EXHAUST SOUND LIKE

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:00 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!
Default RE: WHY EVERY V6 WITH EXHAUST SOUND LIKE

acctually how many cylenders a engine has will affect the sound in no way. if you hit one hammer againt a pan or two hammers agaist a pan it still sounds like a hammer hitting a pan. but if you hit a hammer agaist a bowl (assuming it dosent break) and then one agasit a pan the sound is differant. ie its not the number of cylenders that affect the sound but the size shape and resonance(sp) of the combustion chamber

Old 05-30-2008, 12:07 PM
VIP member

+1 on the camm. A bigger cam will give you a meaner sound. Also it has to do with displacement of a engine.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

i agree, like a nissan 350 with the 3.5 sounds more like a ferrari V12 or how a indy car sounds like it has a 1000 cylinders.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:36 PM
2nd Gear member

Ok nic that makes no sense at all and pete is right guys. You could make a 350 cubic inch v6 and it would sound NOTHING like a 350 ci v8, or a 350 v10. And then if thats true why do the LS1 and the LT1 sound different? Firing order, 4 cubic inches wont make that much of a sound difference. Number of cylinders and firing order are the majority of an engines sound.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:59 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

ORIGINAL: bens99camaro

poop... i been looking on youtube at all the videos with the v6 MAROS that have exhuast...they sound good..and then they rev it high, and sounds like dookie coming out the exhaust..is there any way i can get the sound quailty better..my 99 maro is still stock to the bone, but i wanna get exhuast set up...but if my v6 is gonna sound like that...iduno mayn...i want a real sound...and dont say get a v8..cuz i already know....IF U WANT IT TO SOUND LIKE A V8 GET THE V8....WELL, ANY REPLIES WILL HELP...peach
I will answer your question in two parts.

1. See what pete said.
2. Change your signature today. I deal with enough of that wannabee gangbanger crap at work, we will not be having it here. Any questions pm me.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:00 AM
4th Gear Member

poop

Old 06-04-2008, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: baseballer91
but the best bet with a V6 is to go for the German sound... thats pretty good sounding.
Yeah, german cars do sound good. How would one obtain this sound though?

Old 06-04-2008, 01:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

WOULD (PACESETTER) HEADERS AFFECT THE NOISE ANY?? I JUST ORDERED THE FTRA RAM AIR..I WANNA SEE HOW THAT GOES. BUT IM LOOKIN AT PERFORMENCE, AND SOUND QUALITY, WHICH IS WHY I ASK OF HEADERS, INTAKE...PEACH

Old 06-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Overdrive Member

Headers would affect the sound, yes.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:44 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

ORIGINAL: red94v6

Ok nic that makes no sense at all and pete is right guys. You could make a 350 cubic inch v6 and it would sound NOTHING like a 350 ci v8, or a 350 v10. And then if thats true why do the LS1 and the LT1 sound different? Firing order, 4 cubic inches wont make that much of a sound difference. Number of cylinders and firing order are the majority of an engines sound.

acctually you are right if you made a 350 cubic inch v6 it would have a much deeper tone than a 350 V8 due to the combustion chambers being much larger so what you are saying is that i assembled a V8 engine in miniture well say to scale 3.5 cubic inches becuse it has 8 cylenders its still going to sound like the 350 ......no ......what pete is talking about is the number of cylenders and there fireing order refection the way an engine sounds. however this is going to affect the patern of the sound coming outnot the tone. when i think of what makes aengine sound good to me all kinds of differant patterns sound good a real high reving constant rumble or a low thundering slow cam action....thats were you can make a differance with #of cylenders as fars as tone and pitch however that is controled by the resonance of the system and ofcorse the first peice of equipment affected by the explotions resonace and thusly the one most greatly affect is ......anybody .......anybody?? thecombustion chamber its not cars man its physicssound is vibration by using a larger chamber you createsound waves with bandwith that is farther apart and thusly deeper sound

Quick Reply: WHY EVERY V6 WITH EXHAUST SOUND LIKE