Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

True Duals, X, Y, H, Pipes..

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:41 PM
2nd Gear member
Default True Duals, X, Y, H, Pipes..

I will be upgrading my '98 V6 camaro exhaust system in a few months. For now I am entertaining myself with plans on what to get, how much it will cost and how I will intall it. I could take the easy way and just go get myself a flowmaster, magnanflow, or borla catback, but I want something more interesting. So I tried to do some research only to realize that I don't know jack about exhaust systems.

So let's start with the basics. What are the differences between the "True Duals", X-pipes, Y-pipes, and H-pipes? Which provide the most performance? Which ones are available for the 3800 '98 Camaros?

Old 11-07-2007, 08:35 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!
Default RE: True Duals, X, Y, H, Pipes..

a y pip is shaped like a Y the single exaught manifold connectiong to the bottom of the Y and the dual coming out the back the X pipe the has two manifolds come string down from the headers criss cross and head out to dual exaughst H pip is pretty much the same as X sept instead of acctually criss crossing there is a cross pipe in the middle and finally true duals are two II one pipe from each header all the way back

Old 11-10-2007, 06:03 PM
2nd Gear member

What are the advantages of each though?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:36 AM

Your best bet is to go with true duals. The only reason the V8s use te H and X pipes is to even out the flow making a tad bit more power. Most V6's (fords and chevys) dont have that problem. They are very balanced motors. You will make more power with the true duals so just stay away from a Y-pipe lol.

And the H-X pipes for V6's are good for the sound also. Maybe go on youtube and check out some videos with other peoples exhaust upgrades

Old 11-12-2007, 01:09 AM

i'm with th x or h pipe.helps balance out the exhaust for a better flow and "scavenging "effect,more air in means more air out and visa versa.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:21 AM
2nd Gear member

I have a 97 RS withX pipes, the main we reason we didn't go true duals was because of room.

Didn't realize I had X.. the guy put them on before I bought the car.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:59 AM
2nd Gear member

Alright so no Y-pipe then. But it seems that all the aftermarket exhaust systems that I look at are Y-pipes! Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Dynomax, Corsa, Borla, all have one single pipe splitting into two after the muffler. So where could I find an X-pipe kit?

Old 11-12-2007, 04:10 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

you almost have to put Y pipes on forth gens theres not enough room for much else and honsetley when your talking about Y vrs X is not that much differance imo

Old 11-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Overdrive Member

edit: dp

Old 11-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Overdrive Member

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...ght=true+duals

This link has some good info. Also has some pics and sound clip for x-pipe.

Quick Reply: True Duals, X, Y, H, Pipes..