Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Square exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 10:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Square exhaust?

My friend's got an 85 mustang and he's making his own exhaust. He's gonna use 2x2 square pipe once he gets away from the headers and under the car. How should I convince him he's an idiot? Is this gonna sound good, or even work?

Old 10-22-2006, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Square exhaust?

It might work depending on how well he does it. No idea about the sound but my guess is tht it would sound "interesting". Tell him to have fun welding square tubes to the muffler. LOL. It will look completely retarted. Tell him to get round tubing because the headers are round, mufflers are round, cats are round. It's common sense.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

as long as he doesn't cause alot of turbulence and restriction it will work fine. that is what customizing and hotrods are all about. doing something different. my hats off to him. the only problem i see is unless he is a master pipe fitter he is probably going to do a shotty job. when combining square and round accessories there will be alot of complicated fitting that a novice will not be able to do. either way tell your friend good luck. Sick

Old 10-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Overdrive Member

You may want to let him know that the square tubing is going to be hell to bend and not get a rediculous amount of kinks, and that will restrict flow.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I will attempt to give my nerd answer here...I think the square tubing will be heavier, it will be harder to smoothly transition into round tubing, and you may actually interrupt smooth flow by transitioning shapes from headers, to square, to the round inlet of the muffler. If you want to get really technical with fluid dynamics, the square tubing has more surface area inside with 4 sharp corners which will create less smooth flow and will have a larger boundary layer due to viscous forces. However, the 2x2 square has more cross-sectional area than 2in diameter tubing which may offset the difference in the flow characteristics. Props for trying something new. Go for it!

Old 11-14-2006, 01:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

2" of round pipe will have a larger "face" meaning more area for the exhaust to travel. But as far as making the round muffler extenstions to the square, it isn't that bad as long as you have a grinder with a cutting wheel, grinder, and a hammer. Make the 4 eqaul cuts for each face of the square tube. Grind off the excess material and then you can weld in them together. The gaps can be filled with the welding material too.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I don't think the round tube would have more area for flow. 2in diameter pipe would measure 3.14(1in^2)= 3.14 in^2 in cross-sectional area. The 2 x 2 square tube's C.S. area would be 2 x 2= 4 in^2.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

However, that doesn't mean the square tube will flow better. The round tube will most likely be more efficient even though it has less area technically. The exhaust won't flow well in the 4 corners because it will concentrate the boundary layer of the flow at each corner. The round tube inside has no corners.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:51 AM
3rd Gear Member

If square tubing would work, then somebody would have already sold them. Tell him not to reinvent the wheel. The square tubing will flow like crap, the corners will cause too much turbulance and that turburlance will cause a restriction.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

http://www.mufflermall.com/index.php...070f68d8d5d40f
Square tube adapters! hahaha lol

Quick Reply: Square exhaust?