Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

pacesetter headers on my 99 3.8 v6

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default pacesetter headers on my 99 3.8 v6

I AM this close to buying those damn headers. i dont know how come i have not. maybe im just hesitant on spending 240.00..id like opinions tho, from those who have headers in there 3.8 v6..good or bad..im probably gonna get them anyway...but id like to know what yal think or have to say..the brand is pacesetter, everyone knows them..they have a black finish for 240.00, then the chrome for 378.oo or something...whats the difference between them. my buddy told me the chrome would rust, so i thought the cheaper ones for sure, but i want to hear what some one else says..this is going to be my first mod on the car btw..its completly stock and after the heads, id like to get the magnaflow cat exhaust for about 450.00..im tryin to go front to back..also, does cold air intake help the heads and exhaust better..and what type of gas would i use for these mods...quickly yal..im at work so i can only use internet here..i want to buy something, alright, thanks g's

Old 04-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: pacesetter headers on my 99 3.8 v6

The black painted ones are more likely to rust, go for a the coated header since they aren't stainless steel. Pacesetter is really the only company that makes large quantities of headers for the 3.8, there are some other companies, but they're all custom and quite pricy. You're going to want to get a Y pipe and a cat back system as well, and a cold air intake is a must. Most people will do a cold air, then cat back, then they'll start thinking about headers.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

wait, so when i get the magnoflo exhaust, it doesnt come with the y pipe or the cat? I THOUGHT WHEN I BUY THE MAGNAFLO KIT, IT COMES WITH THIS..I THOUGHT..but anyways

i want to start at the heads, becuase, they are before the cat, then i would get exhuast after the heads, then at the same time im gettin cai...SO DO YOU HAVE HEADS ON A UR Z28?

Old 04-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Overdrive Member

Ok, I'm going to clear some things up for you. All cars have heads, they're a necessary part of the actual motor because they hold the valves and allow air and fuel to get into the motor so it can work. You're talking about getting headers, big difference.

Now, the Magnaflow exhaust is just a cat-back system, meaning it replaces everything except the exhaust manifolds, Y-pipe and catalytic converter. If you get headers right now you're not going to see very many gains because you would still have the stock Y pipe, stock cat and stock cat-back and mufflers. That is why I would suggest going from the back up because you can get reasonable gains from just buying a cat-back exhaust system, but unless you have a cat-back that can flow as much as your headers, you're not going to be able to see any good gains.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:12 PM
2nd Gear member

my personal opinion on this is buy an intake, probably k&n or slp if you can find one. Then, i know this will be hard, but if i were in ur position, buy all ur exhaust an put it on at one time. catback, highflow cat, high flow y pipe, and headers. And you really gotta say headers, because that could confuse someone VERY easily. But good luck on what ever you decide and glad to see yet another camaro get a lil better.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Well if you are going to buy headers dont waste your time with pacesettler.
very cheaply made i got my exhaust for free. but they are a pain in the *** you have to get them welded even though they say bolt together
juss spend the money on a good set of headers and exhaust.
^^and 95slvrZ28 is right about the whole exhaust thing first then headers.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

pacesetter as silver said is pretty much your only choice for the 3.8 start with cai then cat back then headers....

Old 04-13-2008, 09:56 AM

I put the same on my 2000. If I were you I would get the coated ones & a y pipe comes with it. Its a lot easier to change plugs with the headers on. I also had a K&N cold air intake & throttle body spacer, cat back, hi flow cat. Hope I helped some.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

yes thnk u jay, sllvr , camro boi...still a bit lost tho..so now im going to do what you have decided and probably start from the exhaust up...so aftr i get the magnaflo kit..what pipes would i need to maximize the potential of the exhaust, and pipes?? get it ? hope i made sense

Old 04-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Overdrive Member

You need to get the whole Magnaflow cat back system, not just the muffler. Once you get that I would recommend getting a cold air intake. After that you can start thinking about headers/Y-pipe set ups.

Quick Reply: pacesetter headers on my 99 3.8 v6