Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

open header slower?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by evilkal

And you do not have to tune for open headers... RARELY will opening the exhaust as such create a lean condition the motor can't immediately counter. I've ran open headers on my race cars since I started when I was 14 (I'm 19 now) and I've never burnt a valve. That's usually something you only run into on a boosted car, not an N/A one.
I guess my comment and experience was based on things that were done before 1990. Back then the only wires in the cars were for the lights and maby for an electric choke if we were lucky enough to have one. A carburated motor can not counter a lean condition. I guess I should have looked at his sig to see he had an 01'. I would have known better than to put in my 2 cents. Sorry for the confusion.

Phil

Old 05-19-2009, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear member

evilkal: Very well explained, not at all confusing!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 PM
4th Gear Member

Lol thanks Rob. I was just really tired and had no idea if I was making sense lol.

And yes, you are correct on that Phil. A carbeureted motor only responds to the incoming air and has nothing to correct fuel trims after the fact if it can't spit enough fuel. It's all good though man. Even lending a little knowledge here and there can help any rookie. Hell we've all been a rookie before, we know how it is

Old 05-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Ninja Administrator

dont trust ur butt dyno. get on a real one before you decide it feels slower

Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 AM
2nd Gear member

Ohhhh okay I get it. Exhaust mods = rpm band changes, depending. Fair enough.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:38 AM
1st Gear Member

well i guess ill find out friday, im goin to the track againl, thanks everyone

Old 06-01-2009, 07:28 PM

The thing about the knock sensors is true as well. The problem with that is that the ECM will take out timing to compensate. Run some equal size pipes off your headers and you will help the knock sensors and gain some low end too. And still gain in the top as well.

Keep the pipes the same diameter as the collectors and back about 36". It a trick some of the better engine builder use in circle track racing. We have to build our own headers just to get what we need for each engine. We have even figured out how to run full exhaust( fairly quiet almost) with less than 1% power loss!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Overdrive Member
Old 06-02-2009, 01:53 PM
4th Gear Member

BACKPRESSURE IS RETARDED. READ MY POST AND IT TELLS YOU EXACTLY WHAT MAKES IT "LOSE" POWER! Damned idiots... Back pressure is a retarded concept made up by people who don't know anything about how an engine or any kind of pump actually works

Old 06-02-2009, 01:57 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Countryboy69
The thing about the knock sensors is true as well. The problem with that is that the ECM will take out timing to compensate. Run some equal size pipes off your headers and you will help the knock sensors and gain some low end too. And still gain in the top as well.

Keep the pipes the same diameter as the collectors and back about 36". It a trick some of the better engine builder use in circle track racing. We have to build our own headers just to get what we need for each engine. We have even figured out how to run full exhaust( fairly quiet almost) with less than 1% power loss!
That really depends on the car and exhaust set up. If you ran 3" true duals on my car, you'd lose a TON of torque.

Quick Reply: open header slower?