Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

o2 sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default o2 sensor question

I got a 96 RS with 3800 V6 and 5 speed. The previous owner had true duals ran with twin flowmasters at the rear, stock manifolds. (sounds like a "ticked off bumble bee" )The O2 sensor(s) are still in the manifolds BUT the pre-cat and post-cat sensors are just tied up by tranny. I have a check engine light and had it checked and it is the O2 sensors. Is there a way to have them put in the pipes, eliminated completely or I've heard of an O2 simulator? Which would be the cheapest and/or best to do? It runs a little rich but runs fairly good. any suggestions?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Just go to a muffler shop and have them weld in some bungs, shouldn't cost too much.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
Just go to a muffler shop and have them weld in some bungs, shouldn't cost too much.
But what I'm not sure of is the original pipe 2 came together into 1 then to the back, Mine is 2 seperate pipes from manifolds to rear bumper. how do the sensors need to be oriented?

Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Your car has 3 sensors, 2 pre cat and one post. The pre cat sensors should be in the headers at the collector, that way there reading all the cylinders. The post cat sensor obviously goes after the cat, in your case pick a pipe and put the sensor in it.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 AM
4th Gear Member

His has four if I'm not mistaken. Two in each manifold, one right before the cat and one right after. Like BC said, have a exhaust shop weld in bungs (which you can pick up from a local auto parts store) and put them in. Should clear the codes. If not, disconnect the battery to reset the computer.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

odd that theres 3 pre cat sensors, i havent owned a 3800 so...

Old 01-13-2013, 02:54 AM
4th Gear Member

Nevermind, you were right BC, it is three. Two for each manifold and then one post cat. I was going off of all the post-96 cars I've seen (all FWD though) and most had four. Also, the way the original poster made it sound like was that both manifolds had theirs connected and then there are two more hanging? Guess I could not be lazy and check the Haynes manual.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I know there is one in the driver side manifold still hooked up and the two that are tied up beside the tranny that are still attached to the wiring harness, Not sure about one in the passenger side manifold can't see it from the top side and its too wet to get under it today.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM
4th Gear Member

Double checked my Haynes manual. Yours has three. Two for each manifold and one post cat.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Double checked my Haynes manual. Yours has three. Two for each manifold and one post cat.
I was thinking there were 2 tied up beside the tranny, wasn't looking that good. I took my camera and stuck it up under the car and took some random shots approximately where the tranny is and there was just the one tied up there and it is still plugged into the harness. So I can just put it in either pipe and it will be okay & work? Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: o2 sensor question