Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: New purchase

unless u have substantial suspension mods the strut tower brace is just for looks because chances are your tires cannot even sustain enough lateral force to result in any body flex. but mostly i was just giving u crap.

shorties actually do give almost as much hp as LT's, they are just lacking in the low end torque department.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:51 PM
2nd Gear member

my car always twisted at the line more the front end and i got it to see if it would help and it did and shortys are **** i mean come on dont try to back them..

Old 02-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Ninja Administrator

now, ill start this by saying that I bought LT's. however, ur just plain wrong and it sounds like u just arent giving them an open mind. I always suggest that someone get LT's if they have the option, but this guy has emissions, and LT's are hard to get through.

a header's flow is ONLY related to its diameter and "smoothness". longtubes and shorties have EXACTLY the same tube diameter, collecter diameter, and are both made of mandrel bent tubing. So they will flow exactly the same in any flow test. the only difference is that longtubes can be better balanced for the scavenging effect. like i said before, this promotes low end torque and has a slight advantage in hp, but shorties and mid length (which have the same dimensions of shorties with more piping spaghetti'd in there) produce similar hp numbers. And ive already said all of this before, so unless you have something more technical than "they are crap" dont waste our time

Old 02-24-2008, 10:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I gotta agree with specter... cause he is right

Old 02-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Ninja Administrator

actually, to be completely technical a shorty will outflow a LT in a straight cfm test. Rate of flow is inversely proportional to length of travel.
but the scavenging is the whole key because a properly built set of headers will cause a vacuum behind each chamber as the valve opens to effectively suck out the exhaust gases.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 AM
Overdrive Member

Finally I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has to post the difference between shorties and LTs, thanks Specter!

I would like to say that in a straight CFM test the shorties would outflow the long tubes, but to get a true comparison you would have to take the shorties with a Y pipe at an equal lenght from the port, in which case you would find them being about the same flow but the long tubes would have a slight edge. To get slightly more technical the only real reason that "flow" exists is because of temperature differentials. The benefit of a tubular header over the stock manifold is not only the "smoothness" factor but also the tubular factor. a round tube maximizes surface area of any given portion of the tube and thus you can generate more flow. The longer tubes on a long tube header maximize this surface area for longer and thus they will outflow a shorty at a distance after the shorty has gone into the Y pipe and all 4 tubes have converged into 1. This is why the long and mid tubes typically generate slightly better HP numbers, but they aren't ahead by much. As Specter already said, it's all about torque with long tubes, there's lots of physics and sinosoidal waves etc. to get into too much detail with that.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:44 PM
2nd Gear member

o they are good but no one going fast uses them lol how bout dont waste time period on buying shorties lol now thats the real statement u should have said lol i dont know one car that uses let alone anyone who even wants them and is looking lol why back crap i think its funny but watev for emissions and all i can see that but otherwise its a no cuz there is no reason unless u are going for looks...

Old 02-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Ninja Administrator

2 things

"lol" is not a suitable substitute for a period.

u keep saying its just for looks. that statement is a false statement. it is incorrect. it is not right. i dont know how many ways to tell u this. ur wrong.

we gave their limitations and said that if no emissions testing is involved that LT's are the way to go.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:52 PM
4th Gear Member

they make em for a reason.. people buy em.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:57 PM
2nd Gear member

dam *****u aint no nerd i couldaswore u were lmao spect take ur ritalin haha wat im saying is who the *** uses them and the only thing i can see is for looks its no right or wrong stop trying to be mr.correct its kinda annoying but if u still wanna bak the crap go for it...

Quick Reply: New purchase