Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Need some help from the people who have installed headers themselves

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Need some help from the people who have installed headers themselves

Ok so I finally got the headers into my car (95 z28) it took just about forever... but anyways right now i have pacesetter LTs with the Y-pipe from pacesetter and a hooker cat back that was installed a few weeks ago... also i replaced the stock converter with one from magnaflow.

So when once the headers were in and the y-pipe was in I had to cut about 2 feet of the catback off just to clear the y-pipe, and also the little cross-member that the exaust normally goes over doesnt fit with the y pipe in place... is this normal??

the new converter is now at the end of the Y and tucked into the tunnel where the driveshaft is with plenty of clearance. Im just worried that I got too small of a converter and its really gonna restrict everything... its this one. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

I only have two problems after about 16 hours into this installation

1 is that when your turn the keys and the car starts the exaust hits the bottom of the car... its fine when its running but when you let the clutch out and put a load on the engine the exhaust hits again. Im pretty sure its on the drivers side part of the Y pipe where they put a dimple in it to clear a piece of the frame. What can I do about this?

2nd is I think the steering knuckle is rubbing against the header and certain angles... im gonna look more into this tomorrow.. it could just be the stone shield thats on steering which will be an easy thing to fix.

Any help thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated...

Old 08-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Need some help from the people who have installed headers themselves

You probably would have been better going with a dual cat Y pipe, but I don't believe Pacesetter offers those, nonetheless, that one is stock size, but it should get the job done. Anyway, I'd say your only hope on the exhaust hitting the bottom of the car is to adjust the clamps and how far the Y hits, see if you can make out any physical rubbing marks where it's rubbed and try to adjust accordingly. As far as the steering, I'd say you're probably SOL on that one, if it's the cover it should have melted by now. My cover comes within 2 inches at the closest point and it's melted, but never rubbed, that's something you'll have to live with.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Need some help from the people who have installed headers themselves

http://www.flaming-river.com/index.cfm

Check this website for your second question... They may have something for you.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:49 AM
1st Gear Member

well I just moved the steering a little... it had about a 1/4 in of adjustment in it... a good old file took care of the rest.

As for the Y hitting the bottom of the car I found the spot and made the indent that was already there bigger... it only taps the bottom of the car when you really get on the gas now...