Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster - V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Default Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster - V6

I have a 3.8 V6 2001 Camaro and I'm looking to get a dual exhaust system for it. I've tried looking into the flowmaster 80 series american thunder (2.5 inch tubing/tips) and also a Magnaflow that also has 2.5 inch tubing but then 3.5 inch tips. I've checked into other Magnaflow systems as well, but I was wondering which one would perform AND sound the best. I'm looking for that deep growl sound that doesn't sound ricey.

Last edited by Twitchcaek; 07-26-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

Youtube is your friend. Listen to a few clips there.

I've heard Magna will out flow a FlowMaster, but it really comes down to sound preference.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:25 AM

I really do like the sound of magnaflows so far from what I've seen online, and I've tried to find comparisons by others in performance and all that. I can't seem to really find much. I guess it's somewhat of a gut thing as well.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 AM
3rd Gear Member

I can vouch for the Magnaflow sounding good as I have one. The sound from it doesn't get too high pitched at high RPM's, the V6 whine is much more subtle with it. I can also gladly say, the installation was breeze. Magnaflow did a great job making it, we had no issues with any of the pipes not fitting well with each other or the stock cat, the hangers welded onto the tips were in the correct spots, etc.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:25 AM

I think I've decided on the magnaflow after reading many opinions across the net.

Which one did you get?

Old 07-31-2009, 02:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

I got the Magnaflow catback for the Camaro and Firebird V6. I ordered mine from Partsgeek as they had it for the cheapest price I could find, $412. Here is the link: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...st_system.html

They are out of stock right now, but other retailers will have it labeled similarly. Installation was quite easy even for a newbie car guy like myself.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:41 AM

Thanks a lot. A friend of mine was telling me that he "researched" and said the flowmasters gave the best sound and performance, but I've been reading otherwise. Basically, I'm looking for the one that sounds more "beastly", haha.

Do you have a sound clip by chance?

Old 08-01-2009, 05:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

I don't have one yet, I have been planning on making one but haven't yet. I will see if I can get one up tomorrow for you. The sound is all opinion based. To me, the Flowmaster 80 series didn't hide the whine of the V6 at higher RPM's as well as others, namely the Magnaflow. The Flowmaster may sound a bit deeper at idle, but once you hit the gas, I like the sound of the Magnaflow as I feel it is a bit more deeper and is able to stay that way longer. Some people say Flowmasters suck, but I ain't one of them. Some people will say you will lose power with a Flowmaser, but I feel that is BS. On a V6 buildup that someone linked to in a thread here, the Flowmaster 80 series catback gave a 11 hp gain. They had the charts to prove it as well. Either way, Magnaflow or Flowmaster you will see a slight hp gain and you will have a nice sounding V6.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:35 PM

Yeah I've done a lot of research and it all came down to opinions, so it didn't help to look at them like crazy, like I did. Be sure to let me know on your video when it's up. I'll be looking forward to it.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i have never had a magnaflow so can really say on it. but i have had alot of flowmasters. they sound great IMO but you want see any performance from flowmaster there all about sound. People have tried to tell me they can add performance but i hooked mine to a dyno and i didnt see any gain

Last edited by mybbz28; 11-01-2009 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster - V6