Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Lower Intake Leak . . . I do believe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Question Lower Intake Leak . . . I do believe?

I know a leak will cause me to lose coolant over time as it has been doing,but it's right near the no 2 cyl and injector,which is coding as a misfire,CPS and other parts have been changed alreadyCan this cause it to run real ruff under acceleration?It runs better when it's cold as soon as it warms up it goes right to **** oh it's a 97 3.8

Old 02-18-2014, 03:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Correction i believe it's the LOWER intake,can someone change the title please

Old 02-19-2014, 08:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I got 125K and i can see a couple different spots where it's such a light leak that i have to add coolant every 3-4 months...Let me add that the scan history shows that cyl 2 has had 1,000+ misfires and all the others have maybe 1 or 2,if it is a coil pack wouldn't it affect more than one cyl??...and one of the leaks is right where the cyl 2 injector is

Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if your getting coolant in the cylinder its going to misfire. have you pulled the plug to see how it looks. sounds like your gona have to pull it apart. best to do it before it gets worse

Old 02-19-2014, 10:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
if your getting coolant in the cylinder its going to misfire. have you pulled the plug to see how it looks. sounds like your gona have to pull it apart. best to do it before it gets worse

The plug we took out before i changed them al looked corroded away haven't pulled the n0 2 cyl plug since changing tho

Old 02-19-2014, 10:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

And would i be right to say that if it's leaking coolant into the cyl that the coolant will start to get mixed with the oil from the intake leak??

Old 02-19-2014, 01:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if its getting in on the intake stroke and is not the much its burning up and going out the exhaust. if its leaking all the time it will drain down past the pistons to the oil. again if its not that much it will evaporate when the engine gets to operating temp and you will not see it. in both cases it can do damage or not. I'm sure if not corrected over time it will.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

if its getting in on the intake stroke and is not the much its burning up and going out the exhaust. if its leaking all the time it will drain down past the pistons to the oil. again if its not that much it will evaporate when the engine gets to operating temp and you will not see it. in both cases it can do damage or not. I'm sure if not corrected over time it will.
early on i think it was evaporating,was going low on coolant every 3-4 months,pulled the dip stick for the oil today and it is a lil cloudy,so not driving or starting it up until this is fixed....

Old 02-19-2014, 03:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

well if your going to the lower intake may as well get the head gaskets done. not that much further.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:51 AM
In the Staging Lanes

If you have a leaking LIM gasket,which I do, can you still do a compression test for the head gasket before the LIM gasket is repaired??I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to this gasket stuff..lol

Quick Reply: Lower Intake Leak . . . I do believe?