Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Iroc cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Iroc cold air intake

Hey guys, just wondering what you thought about a cold air intake for my 1988 Camaro Iroc-z with the 5.7 engine in it. Does it improve the sound? The power increase i shoul expect is about 10-15 more horses? Thanks for any help! :]

Old 02-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Overdrive Member

You might see 2-3 hp at best.It doesnt really improve sound.If you want to improve the sound, you might want to do some exhaust work.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok so its not worth the money. I heard that it helped with sound too. I do plan on a gmmg chambered system soon. Thanks for the help

Old 02-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Overdrive Member

well it all depends what your plans are.A cold air intake can increase hp, but its not going to be a huge difference,but you can see gains in miles per gallon.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah i'M not looking for fuel management. iI'm Trying to produce a 300 horsepower IROC. nothing insane. Just enough to be scary from light to light and fun to drive.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Saint_Ali
You might see 2-3 hp at best.It doesnt really improve sound.If you want to improve the sound, you might want to do some exhaust work.
Explain to me how Opening up your intake is not going to add a defining sound ? Obviously you have never installed one on a camaro. The factory airboxes on camaro are terribly silenced, You would not believe the difference when I installed a CAI on my 94 & 91 V6's. I could only imagine how great it would sound on an IROC. Not to mention the increased throttle response. nothing like hearing an engine suck in cold air, You will probably have to design your own intake but that is half of the fun if you have any sort of Cowl induction hood, you could just put a cone filter on the end of the inake like the Ramjet Crate Engines by GMPP

Iroc-Z Air Filters

Old 02-23-2009, 08:36 PM
2nd Gear member

You'll get a little bit of a whooshing noise from a CAI, but it's generally not the sort of thing most people would associate with a camaro...the sounds you hear a camaro make tend to come from the exhaust.

In addition, newbie, Alih has done quite a bit of work on his camaro. And his camaro isn't a 3.4 liter six-banger.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:06 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I actually agree with both Ali and G0d speed. Opening a new intake won't really produce the sound most people would think and the OE air box is silencing. On larger trucks the new sound is definately noticable on a Camaro the sound is already there so it wont really be all that noticable - unless its a samller V6 like you said.

I know of a Tahoe that has a CAi and it sounds really nice. throaty is the proper term however the sound change on an already well sounding IROC wont be too much. Ali advised exhaust work and I will second that.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by robmnrd
You'll get a little bit of a whooshing noise from a CAI, but it's generally not the sort of thing most people would associate with a camaro...the sounds you hear a camaro make tend to come from the exhaust.

In addition, newbie, Alih has done quite a bit of work on his camaro. And his camaro isn't a 3.4 liter six-banger.

Lol I'm not a newbie. Ive been on the site for years as 94camarosfi but i lost my password and it wouldn't reset. I apologize for not noticing that a primer grey camaro with a berger panel posting in a v6 section of a thread is a z28.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:28 PM
2nd Gear member

Hey, it's the not-so-flashy ones that are usually packing. Just think of hondas! :P The only ones that'll legitimately do 12s or quicker look totally stock! :P

Quick Reply: Iroc cold air intake