Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Default Exhausts

Boy oh boy have I had a field day looking at some of the exhausts that are available for an LS1 (the camaro I'm getting soon)

But, as Ive been reading up on Headers and exhausts...if someone were to want a low rumbling, and a loud lion / tiger sound when you stomp on it...which combos are the best?

Im not talking about that funny-car loud bang exhausts...im talking like your rolling up to a light in 1st, at 500 - 1k rpm and you just hear a low thunder. =) Almost brings a tear to my eye.

Anyhow, I know very little about which company makes which sound...which is the best combination (header and exhaust) that will do my desiered sound?

Some of the exhausts I've been reading about:

* Corsa
* Bassani (expensive!! Any good?)
* Flowmaster (heard they were cheap..but dont ring me if it isnt!)
* Muscle Flow
* Magnaflow
* Hooker
* Loudmouth II (makes me interested!)

Headers:

* Hooker
* Edlebrock
* Mac Headers
* Jet Hot Long Tube Headers
* Dynatech F-Body SuperMaxx

Sorry that I have like a gazillion questions in my post =), but Ive been wondering this for quite sometime now, and I'd like to get the exhaust for the car...so when I recieve it I'll throw it right on it (test drove it....Loving the 6 speed!!!!)

Also, the reason I want it to sound so thunderous, and grumbling and growling, is the visual appearence of what I want to replicate is in my signature....yes it is photoshopped, but I had to express exactly what I wanted. Red tinted (or leds in headlights) hood, tilted light covers, but yeilding the rims (Im going to go for a bullitt style rim, they're not called bullitts, something else I forgot)

Any help on this weird *** series of questions would be GREATLY appreciated!!

All the best!,
/brian

Old 09-07-2005, 01:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Exhausts

my friend has an 02 ram air with bassani full length headers, with straight pipe and two dynomax bullet mufflers, and it sounds pretty dang good.

Old 09-07-2005, 06:36 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phrozen755

Anyhow, I know very little about which company makes which sound...which is the best combination (header and exhaust) that will do my desiered sound?

Some of the exhausts I've been reading about:

* Corsa
* Bassani (expensive!! Any good?)
* Flowmaster (heard they were cheap..but dont ring me if it isnt!)
* Muscle Flow
* Magnaflow
* Hooker
* Loudmouth II (makes me interested!)

Headers:

* Hooker
* Edlebrock
* Mac Headers
* Jet Hot Long Tube Headers
* Dynatech F-Body SuperMaxx
There are lots of different exhaust setups for the LS1. First you should decide what kind of headers you want. Long tubes make the most power but most times you will end up removing your cats, this may or may not be an issue for you (you can get long tubes with cats if you need to) Mid-lenths will allow for cats most times and are a little cheaper. I have Flowtech ceramic coated long tubes with no cats on my SS. IOM the Flowtech (which is made by HOOKER) are a great value. I got mine for around $600 new and that was with a ceramic coated Y-pipe,new header bolts, O2 sensor extensions and gaskets. They took me about 5 hours to install. My cat back is a Random Technology which sounds similar to the Magnaflow from what I am told. GMMG makes a nice cat back, personally I don't Flowmaster. I plan on soon putting on a true dual setup with Dynomax bullet mufflers. Your best bet is to look at different cars and find out what setup they are running, also you can go to http://www.ls1sounds.com/ and hear a bunch of different set ups.

Old 09-07-2005, 07:54 PM

wow!!

That site is awesome!!

Thanks so much for the reply, that answered a ton man, AND set me in the direction I needed to go to find out which setup is right for me!!

Thanks!!!!