Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Which Exhaust should I get??!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Default Which Exhaust should I get??!!

I'm going to get a new exhaust system soon. I need help choosing which brand/type/size to get. I do not really know that much about exhausts, so advice is welcome.
A friend of mine suggested Borla and Coorsa. Both of which are incredibly expensive, but sound nice as hell...
Another friend suggested flowmaster or magnaflow...cheap, decent.
I want performance as well as amazing sound...
I want to have the typical muscle car sound (deep guttural purr/roar)...like 'eleanor' in gone in 60 seconds...or vin diesel's black muscle car in fast and the furious 1...lol

Please help me out...which one is better or which do you recommend and why?? I also need help with choosing an intake...I wanna do a cold air, but I'm thinking about doing the 'y-pipe down to suck from the front grill' mod thing...let me know...

thanks,
Jeremy

Old 05-05-2009, 09:37 PM
2nd Gear member

I'd say go with Magnaflow or Flowmaster. The others are very nice, but these exhausts can handle more horsepower than most people have money to buy (upwards of 600-700). Go on www.youtube.com to search the sounds of a camaro with these exhaust systems to see which you like better. I've never heard of the y-pipe to the front grill.. but some nice CAI kits can be bought from Volant, SLP or K&N. I'm sure there's others.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 PM

Ok. Ya I checked out youtube, but the sound quality doesn't do any of them justice...
But the y-pipe thing i was talking about is like...it relocates the intake to where the fog lights are...and instead of one, there's two...and since it's pulling from the front of the car...it's cooler than in the engine bay.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:02 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I know what you're talking about, it was made by fasttoyz I believe, I don't know if they made it for the LT1, they have a single intake version for the LS1 that I've seen. Any CAI kit you get will relocate the filter inlet to the inside fender well, will be the same as far as getting cold air.

For your exhaust, are you looking for a cat back system? Or looking to build your own? Flowmaster and magnaflow make good catback systems for the money. I do agree that corsa and borla sound really good, but why pay that much money when you can get close to their sound for cheaper. The best thing I would suggest to do is to put some headers on it, get you a high flow magnaflow converter and then a magnaflow muffler and have a muffler shop weld in the cat/catback pipe to muffler and then your muffler outlets and tips. Should run you about 150 bucks for muffler shop to do that for you. All in all, you'll end up shelling out around 300-350 bucks for this setup, plus the headers, but it'll be a custom setup and this setup sounds really good with shorty headers on a stock Z28. A friend of mine has this setup on his 93 Z with pacesetter headers and it sounds really nice.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by greenarrow
I know what you're talking about, it was made by fasttoyz I believe, I don't know if they made it for the LT1, they have a single intake version for the LS1 that I've seen. Any CAI kit you get will relocate the filter inlet to the inside fender well, will be the same as far as getting cold air.

For your exhaust, are you looking for a cat back system? Or looking to build your own? Flowmaster and magnaflow make good catback systems for the money. I do agree that corsa and borla sound really good, but why pay that much money when you can get close to their sound for cheaper. The best thing I would suggest to do is to put some headers on it, get you a high flow magnaflow converter and then a magnaflow muffler and have a muffler shop weld in the cat/catback pipe to muffler and then your muffler outlets and tips. Should run you about 150 bucks for muffler shop to do that for you. All in all, you'll end up shelling out around 300-350 bucks for this setup, plus the headers, but it'll be a custom setup and this setup sounds really good with shorty headers on a stock Z28. A friend of mine has this setup on his 93 Z with pacesetter headers and it sounds really nice.
I'm not actually sure. Which one would improve the performance more? cat back or custom build?
What kind of headers should I get?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Either way they'll both be able to support tons of horsepower. So whichever is cheapest and easiest for you.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:46 AM
4th Gear Member

Go buy a 1970 Charger with a 440 in it and you'll have Vin Diesel's sound

Old 05-09-2009, 07:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I have heard that the best free flowing exhaust manufactures are in this order;

1. Hooker
2. Magnaflow
3. Flowmaster

I personally have the stock one on one of my cars and a Flowmaster on the other. I quite like the perfomance of the Flowmaster but it is not load enough for me (it never is). If I were to get a new exhaust it would have to have Cherry Bomb Glasspack mufflers though. Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:17 PM
2nd Gear member

I've heard flowmaster isn't that free flowing from somewhere.. I think it was from this forum. People say Flowmaster is the least free flowing exhaust in the aftermarket selection.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:03 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by MitchellDeMoor
I have heard that the best free flowing exhaust manufactures are in this order;

1. Hooker
2. Magnaflow
3. Flowmaster

I personally have the stock one on one of my cars and a Flowmaster on the other. I quite like the perfomance of the Flowmaster but it is not load enough for me (it never is). If I were to get a new exhaust it would have to have Cherry Bomb Glasspack mufflers though. Just my 2 cents.
so do you think the glasspack has a good high rpm sound or does it sound like a tuner (on a 3.4)